New drivers

which pretty much says precisely what I have been saying.

I think there is one mistake though. Cross drilling is not there to get gas from out of the pad-disc interface, its to get dust/water out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

get a rifle and fill the freezer Jules!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still is with bloody BMWs. Car was first registered on 7/12/09 but since

1st September it has been telling me I need a service every time I start the engine.
Reply to
Roger Chapman

Outgassing from the resin bonder in the friction material is a very significant issue, and is probably more common than all the above.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I've never heard that one from anyone else, can't be very popular.

Reply to
dennis

VW recommended change at my last service, so I requested it be done

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is "wrong" the new word they taught you today? maybe they should have told you when to use it? I take it you are blind and have never seen a formulae one car with the brakes glowing red and they are still braking.

Reply to
dennis

I've (deliberately) got my brakes hot enough to glow, and they still worked. And didn't warp. That's on a perfectly normal family-type car, though admittedly it has mineral oil rather than DOT fluid for the brakes.

Reply to
Clive George

[Shrugs]
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

10+ year old Citroen or Rolls?
Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's been changed several times in the time I've owned mine - as part of the regular service requirement.

That makes sense. Which sort of confirms it's not usual for large quantities of water to get into it - or enough to cause problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well yes - but apart from a tiny amount in the top of the reservoir, where is it open to that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a Rover P6 with inboard discs which weren't well cooled, and could easily get them glowing bright red. But never had the fluid boil. Or obvious brake fade. Unlike the sort I got regularly on an early Mini.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think a Rolls ever counts as a normal family-type car? :-)

(it was my old BX)

Reply to
Clive George

The water enters as vapour through the breather hole in the cap, and diffuses throughout the brake fluid, so that the concentration is more or less uniform.

On vehicles with cast iron brake cylinders, it can even cause corrosion in the wheel cylinders.

Reply to
John Williamson

IIRC there were a few cases of volvos reportedly driving off on their own and killing people. I thought they recalled them all to fix the problem.

It was a few years ago so they are all ready for scrap by now.

Reply to
dennis

They have to meet EU regulations and to be marked as doing so. All lights on production cars will meet the regulations.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You really don't have a clue.. you want maximum braking at the latest time you can get away with it. Using the brakes means you get maximum braking. If you then apply engine braking as well you lock up the drive wheels and get less braking and less control. If you ease off on the brakes to avoid the drive wheels locking up you don't get maximum braking.

Reply to
dennis

I bet they went bust.

Reply to
dennis

I used to have an auto Cavalier which would wind itself up through the gears to about 20MPH on the flat. While maintaining a steady 800RPM idle.

Waste fuel? Well, I used to get 35MPG on the open road, and under 20 around town.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ