When we are all EV drivers

Then this bloke will have no more fun

ARW

Did I tell you about my family's little adventure with this ford?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Somebody will start selling special charging cables that transfer more energy to your car due to the wire within being oxygen free or something like that, Indeed, I'm surprised nobody has not done this already. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Or you can buy a suitcase full of batteries on wheels that will give you 20 miles of range ...

Andy Burns

Roadside help from Rapid Auto Charging?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

thats just an electric version of the 5 litre green plastic petrol container :-)

Reply to
SH

It appears to have a deathdapter outlet, so ICE car drivers could keep one in the boot, fill it for free at the supermarket charge points, then use it to power appliances at home ... would need lots of trips to justify renting one at £50/month though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

When we are all EV drivers we will have to put up with stopping for ages every n-hundred miles, and will need to evolve a way of paying friends for electricity used to recharge the car when staying with them. It's not like popping into a garage anywhere in the country when the petrol/diesel is getting low and restoring another 700 miles of range within 5 minutes.

If EV designers solve these problems, then EVs will be fantastic. But I don't see them ever solving the problem of restoring 700 miles range (60 litres of diesel) in a few minutes, because that needs electricity to be added at a rate of about 10 MW (yes, megawatts).

Diesel is about 40 MJ/litre. 60 litres in 5 minutes is 60*40 / (5*60) = 8 MW

If you need 8 MW and the charging system is 99.9% efficient, that's still

0.1% = 8 kW of heat that needs to be dissipated.

OK, that's for a direct equivalent to an IC engine. A charger, battery and electric motor system may well be more efficient so will need less energy to travel a unit distance.

Will our power stations have the capacity to supply most houses with electricity at the 1 MW rate (allowing for greater efficiency of EV).

Will we have to get used to long stops (much longer that a "go to loo and have a cup of coffee" break) every few hundred miles when travelling. I imagine that battery lifetime (number of recharges) will decrease as charging rate increases, so you restrict rapid charges to the times when you need them *during* a journey, and opt for a slower overnight charge for all other occasions.

Reply to
NY

Yes, I've pointed this out a number of times.

Reply to
Tim Streater

has the Government taken any notice of you?

For a great many years (around 60), I have driven from Surrey to Edinburgh in a day - for the last 30 odd years in a diesel engined car. Having done the journey in September, I decided that I'm getting too old for that sort of journey. having made that decision, I will be planning an overnight partway stop. I will simply look for accomodation with a charging point. Premier Inns, my preferred stopover points, are due to start putting charging points next year.

Reply to
charles

With a spout that has a pinhole in the end!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Not only that, when home charging, most house cutouts are in the range of 60A to 100A so trying to get 8MW through that cutout in 5 minutes is going to literally make the cutout go open circuit......

Reply to
SH

No, do please tell us Bill.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

It is unlikely that all of us old gits on here will ever be EV drivers, some maybe but all nah, the grim reaper will see to that!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

even the outdoor 13A socket I currenty use gets a little warm after an ovrnight session. Perhasp I need to buy a better one or perhaps wait until the proper charing point is installed. Possibly next week.

Reply to
charles

Andy Burns pretended :

and the first time you use it at the kerb, outside your door - it will be half inched.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Yes, and it?s very boring. We all know that rapid refuelling is currently (and I dare say for some time to come) is the EV Achilles heel BUT, once you accept and can see beyond that limitation, EVs make a heck of a lot of sense for many (but not all) drivers.

It all a question of whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for any individual.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you?re at home, you can charge while you sleep. No need for more than

7kW for most folk.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

ITYM 'Charring point' :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ok,

on a 60 A cutout, thats 13.2 kW

on a 80 A cutout, thats 17.6 kW

On a 100 A cutout, thats 22 kW.

many families are multiple car owner families

Add in a couple of electric showers, a electric cooker and a heat pump along with an EV or two....

Not much will be needed to open that cut out....

(by way of comparison, a typical domestic gas meter is capable of passing something like 60 kW of gas. (my combi boiler is a 38 kW, i have two gas ovens and two gas hobs, so have plenty of gas supply capacity)

Reply to
SH