When we are all EV drivers

Otherwise known as Southern Railways :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

But the tube system has trains slowing down and accelerating at more-or-less the same time so regeneration should help to even out the peak demand. Presumably this is not possible on intercity rail.

Reply to
Andrew

The old platforms are still there at Olympia. They are huge, lengthwise.

Reply to
Andrew

I only did 1,200 miles last year. Everything I need is available in the village and there is a Southern Railway station so I can get to a John Lewis, screwfix, Toolstation, decent library quite easily and the walk to/from the station only takes 17 minutes.

Reply to
Andrew

They could plug the QE aircraft carrier into the National Grid at Portsmouth and use it as an emergency source of power when necessary

Reply to
Andrew

I thought they always supplied 3-phase if your supply ever needed work done (and it was possible)?

Reply to
Andrew

My company fuse is marked 60/80 Amp with 16mm tails. I suspect most houses are like this ???

Reply to
Andrew

There are a great many company breaker fuses buried under pavements. expect a lot more incidences of pavements erupting in flames, and/or a lot fewer volts :-)

Reply to
Andrew

My farming relatives hat a Lister Dursley diesel genset for 2 or 3 decades before they paid an arm and a leg for 3 or 4 poles to connect to the village power supply.

Reply to
Andrew

Just move the extra costs onto the price of gas. Gas users have had much too easy a ride until quite recently.

Reply to
Andrew

We have a 100A circuit. 2 EV's, 2 EV chargers, 3kW immersion heater for hot water, 14.4kW electric boiler for central heating plus the usual 3kW kettle, 12kW cooker/oven and a microwave, telly, blow dryer washer lighting etc. All works flawlessly with a couple of CT's and timers. It can be done. Never blown the main fuse.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I'd love to know how much gas and electric a typical large hospital uses per year. Notably how much power an MRI scanner uses.

This article suggests that about 4% of a typical hospitals electricity usage is needed for them, and almost half of that is associated with the cooling systems.

Andrew

27 kWh per scan, including cooling, according to
seems good value.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine's only 2 phases; installation possibly as old as the house - 1911

Reply to
charles

But what I want to know is, having fully charged an EV, how long would that charge last if the car was just sitting unused ?. Normal cars need to have their battery disconnected if being stored for more than NN weeks.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

That link suggests overall, nearly half is used for cooling including CAT scanners. Methinks the design of NHS hospitals should include some form of energy/heat recovery systems.

Reply to
Andrew

My car has 2 batteries: One for motice power and the other a 12v one for all then more conventional items, radio, alarms etc. That latter one would, I assume, discharge as normal.

I haven't had the car lonng enough to discover.

Reply to
charles

why just NHS ones?

Reply to
charles

so called "vampire drain" 1-4 miles per day, depends if you leave dashcams recording 24x7 etc.

Andy Burns

Well, I suppose it'll all end up as heat, one way or another, assuming patients don't come out glowing in the dark :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns