When we are all EV drivers

Presume other DNOs provide similar info, WPD have a map showing levels of capacity available per substation

Andy Burns

but, let's enjoy it while we can. When I switched to electric, I enjoyed a rebate on my car insurance, too.

Reply to
charles

FSVO "tiny percentage"

a. even the simple conversion of an existing lamp post costs c.£1,000 and that can't be done for every lamp in a road without upgrading the supply

b. for other residential on-street chargers the grant alone from OZEV /averages/ well over £3,000, and they won't pay more than 75% of the total. They don't consider £7,500 an exceptional cost.

Robin

Just *when* is it going to finish? What does your crystal ball say? Given our government?s commitment to shifting people to EVs, I think the incentive will be around for some time.

No one is naive enough to think that there won?t be some other clawback by the government in time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed there is. The battery management system prevents over charging and over draining.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You don't need to go on a course to kmnow that

Reply to
charles

I can remmeber using battery operated test gear in the 1970s. The better stuff had circuitry to prevent totally flattening the battery.

Reply to
charles

6kWh per gallon of refined petrol/diesel will be freed up which at 3.5m/kWh average for an EV and 40mpg for a petrol car straight away goes towards 1/2 of the total extra demand.
Reply to
Andy Bennet

Think every sensible person knows that. Which excepts everyone in government. Who manage plenty blah blah, but very little in the way of firm plans on how and when they'll upgrade the infrastructure. The need for this being known for ages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ok. So about 3% of the cost of a new EV. Petrol has gone up about 40% in the past few months. People seem to afford that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In those circumstances, remove some but not all protestors. It's not really that hard.

Reply to
Richard

Wow. That's rational thinking.

3% the cost of a new EV vs 40% the cost of a new what?
Reply to
Richard

I was once driving through flood water in my (1995) Primera.

I was going carefully, trying to keep a bow wave on the front so the water was at its lowest around the engine.

A guy came the other way in a 4x4 throwing up a big enough wave that it put brown water right over the bonnet - not just a splash, but a solid wave.

I'd stopped before the wave got to me. My engine didn't even hiccup.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've read that several times and failed to understand.

Are you saying that refining fuel uses electricity?

I'd like to read about that. It's not the way I thought they worked.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

As hard as it is to believe, your power providers have had "BEV" in the yearly planning report for at least two decades. Before there was a Tesla, there was a paragraph in the report about the possibility of needing major upgrades. Power planners need to plan, to "announce" well in advance of need, because they know how hard it is to get governments to react.

This cannot be fixed by wand waving.

People in suits let you down (by not making any response to planning reports, when it would have been prudent to do so).

People in suits, will have to fix it.

It could take forty years to fix. (The nukes will have to be built in "waves", because there aren't enough Toshibas to build them all. Even if Toshiba wanted to build them.)

Even the Chinese had to back off on their plan to build fifty nukes. There are only so many cement trucks.

Next question.

*******

I can tell you what the result will be. The infrastructure is already in place. The car will only charge, when instructed to do so "from a central planning authority". If there is one thing that is abundantly clear about BEV designs, it is "you don't own the BEV, you rent it". You're not really in control of it. You can't DIY change out a battery pack in your back yard. The car will not "accept" the new battery pack. The car will neither charge nor drive, with an unauthorized battery pack installed.

The computer in the BEV is your enemy. When there is a lekky shortage in ten years time, the central planning authority will tell you to "leave your car plugged in tonight, but you might only get two hours of charging on Wednesday and one hour charging on Thursday". The same could happen when you drive to a SuperCharger and pay 2X for a charge. Maybe only a SuperCharger a hundred miles from you, will have a "charging slot available to you". This will show on the LCD panel in the car, updated over-the-air status.

The computer to do this, is already in the cars. An over-the-air update, allows central planning to push out any policy they want, limiting your usage of your "rented" car.

It's not a personal car, it's a government car. And the computer in that BEV, made this possible. Suddenly public mass transit won't seem so strange. For that's what you're driving. You select Nirvana on Spotify, the government operator switches your tunes to ColdPlay. For that's how it works in 1984.

Coldplay - Yellow

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Mangled version of a Musk quote?

I'd assume they burn some "unpopular" fraction of their output?

Reply to
Andy Burns

TBF The regulator OFGEM has recognised this and has authorised DNO's to spend more to up grade their networks to cope with the anticpated demand for EV's.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

So are you claiming it can be done for every lamp for £1,000? If so care to explain why it's costing over £3,500 per residential charger on average under the OZEV scheme?

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Hmm. Nobody told Tektronix:-( My mains/battery oscilloscope was regularly flattened by the last person out of the lab. turning off the bench supply. At least it taught me how to recover a reversed charged NiCad cell by placing a charged one in parallel thus destroying the metallic shorts:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Scaremongering methinks. ?Intelligent? charging is already here. You tell it when you need your car and how much charge/range you need. The power company then juggles charging times to achieve this with the least possible stress to the supplies.

Any power company that leaves you with an inadequately charged car in the morning won?t keep customers.

It?s a different way of doing things for sure, not for the dinosaurs here, but I think most people can see the sense in it when we?re trying to best manage a finite power supply.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+