When we are all EV drivers

The Natural Philosopher brought next idea :

  • 1

The local substation fuse (and the transformer) is rated for average loads, where some consumers will be drawing lots of current, some little. Once everyone gets EV's and electric heating, that average is multiplied several times over and supplies are suddenly lost.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

So put in a bigger substation then. Which is what National Grid and the DNOs are doing (as well as three phase connections for new supplies). Although, as I said before, load balancing helps quite a bit with reducing the peak loading, which is mostly what the substation is concerned about.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

When you look at the energy we use in terms of transport fuel and the energy we use as electricity, its at least a 2:1 grid and power-station upgrade is needed.

If we want electric heating as well, make that 3:1. somewhere north of

150GW total capacity

And if you want to decarbonise industry as well, make that 5:1 - getting on for 300GW capacity

Only way that's going to happen is a massive investment in nuclear

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All costs money, all goes on your bill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You offering to pay the bill for replacements and upgrades then?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1

Some people just fail to understand what will be needed for this massive switch to green sources.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

ArtStudents? all think that you simple do political agitation, politicians make laws and the right stuff will simply happen. At no cost to them...

Beneath contempt really...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From next May, home and workplace EVSE won't charge (by default) during 9 peak hours

Andy Burns

Diesel engines aren't as efficient, maybe 30-40%, so you can reduce that.

It's actually only about 3MW.

Sorry, did I say Only? ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I suspect that most car owners either park on the street or in a car park. You are not alone.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It's a bit embarrassing actually. Ask me in a year!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

So during the night there's no telling how charged up the car will be? That's no good. The whole idea of having a car is so that you can set off when you need to. I'm writing this at 3.30am and I could easily decide to nip to the supermarket in a bit.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

There is already an inductive charging method, but the transfer efficiency is not all that good. Only useful if you have lots of windmill power to waste :-)

"The truck was able to charge both while stationary and while driving over a 164-foot section of road at speeds up to 18 mph.

The system was able to charge the truck at a rate of 45 kilowatts, according to Smartroad Gotland."

I was looking for the stationary version of that, and didn't know someone was trying to invent charging while in motion. The article says the next attempt, will be at a higher kilowatt level.

Tesla also has its "electric snake" demo, where a smart cable moves up to a car and plugs into the glowing electric charge input. This was presumably invented so users could go to a Tesla SuperCharger on a rainy day and not have to get out of their car to charge up. There is a video of the demo available. Since a gadget like that is expensive, and likely to be easily damaged, I don't see much chance of that being deployed.

According to this, the snake is not dead yet. There's still a chance it will make it to a SuperCharger.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The pricing on portable gadgets like that ("power packs"), is way too expensive per kilowatt hour. It's probably at least 5X the price of the batteries inside. Small battery power packs are a ripoff.

Sure, it's amusing and all, but the electric petrol pail is only for rich people.

A certain power pack a couple years ago, was £1000 for a single kilowatt-hour pack. The pack was equipped with AC outlets, for convenient usage as a portable power source. In other words, an inverter was included in the design. The battery cells aren't nearly that expensive, if you could get them in quantity from the battery plant.

The price of batteries will only remain reasonable, as long as the large companies duke it out on gigafactories. The history of the battery industry, always led to monopoly situations, which has a negative effect on the usefulness of batteries. Here is hoping there will be lots of gigafactories competing for consumer money.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You don't always need to fill a BEV.

With the honking great battery that's got, even when the gauge reads 20%, there would be plenty of juice for a run to the store.

They don't have to be full, to drive them.

When you have a large large battery, you can speculatively fill them, and have several days of range sitting in the "tank".

Paul

Reply to
Paul

We have a 100A circuit. 2 EV's, 2 EV chargers, 3kW immersion heater for hot water, 14.4kW electric boiler for central heating plus the usual 3kW kettle, 12kW cooker/oven and a microwave, telly, blow dryer washer lighting etc. All works flawlessly with a couple of CT's and timers. It can be done. Never blown the main fuse.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

As I have here. Over 200 miles range

Reply to
charles

Indeed, investment has to be paid for. Otherwise we'd still be on DC supplies from the municipal coal-powered generator and rural folks would have no electricity at all.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Nigeria. What could possibly go wrong ?.

Reply to
Andrew