OT: Why do dentists ask your occupation when you register?

Occupation seems to be a standard question when you register with a new dental practice. Why? Surely the treatment's the same. Or are they trying to weed out potential clients who might get their teeth knocked out during the course of their work (like boxers and... errr...).

Presumably there's an obvious answer I'm overlooking but at the moment the only thing I can think of is a recollection that agents dropped into occupied Europe during the war had their fillings redone to match the continental style so they couldn't be ID'd as British if picked up by the Gestapo.

Reply to
mike

It's to get an idea of how much they can charge you for treatment.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Presumably, among other things, it can be fed into statistics software which will spot connections between occupations and (in the dentist case) the things that go wrong with your teeth.

Reply to
tinnews

There are many occupations that can affect dental health in the same way as general health can be occupation-related. And there are occupations you probably shouldn't do under the influence of some dental drugs.

Occupational diseases in teeth - Gupta

of teeth due to occupational exposure to airborne olivine dust
dental wear in ceramic factory workers
's for the NHS.

If you're going private they want to estimate how much to load the bill :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Because you've already got a big chair, pointy scrapey things, a flesh- cutting laser and so you'll want to know when you've caught an estate agent or financial services consultant.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

cheeky sparkies?

Reply to
Andy Burns

... is the right answer.

:-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That is probably true! Even my French dentist asked my profession when I registered. They just want to know how many crowns and other expensive treatment they can claim you need.

Reply to
David in Normandy