Very heavy (6"?) butt hinges?

I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al

Reply to
AL_n

dom

Why not use the usual gate hinges? I don't know what they are called, but on the post there is an upturned pin and on the gate there is a steel strap that wraps around the pin. They are quite cheap, as I discovered after I made the wooden hinges for my 12 foot wide gate.

Reply to
Matty F

Matty F wrote in news:13a9d849-2935-4ed2-8202- snipped-for-privacy@d18g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

They seem to be about £30 for two pairs; not my idea of inexpensive. However, due to the unusual design of the gate, I can't use anything with a long 'arm'.

Thanks, anyway..

Al

Reply to
AL_n

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

be some kind of web-access FUBAR going on here at present...

Thanks also to 'dom'... will take a look...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Well, if you want cheap, here's one of my wooden hinges, using second- hand bolts and a bit of bent steel. I just extended the rail of the gate a bit and drilled a hole in it:

's 12 feet of gate on the right of the hinge, and it seems to work fine.

Reply to
Matty F

should be able to get hinges like this in England

F Murtz

>>> You should be able to get hinges like this in England

Or these

F Murtz

How about these?

photo in
a different view, assuming they're not using the same name for a different product. Or you could look on eBay
's difficult to be absolutely sure from the photographs, but they look similar to some which I bought a while ago from my local architectural ironmongers - the flaps of these are a double thickness of steel and about 4 or 5mm thick in total. (I can't measure them now, of course!) Mike

Reply to
docholliday