Heavy-Duty Post Brackets ??

I am building a woodshed, using 4 X 6 's as the super-structure. I need a strong method of joining the posts together, and plan to use steel straps T-shaped brackets, and L-shaped brackets at various places to join some of the posts.

I am looking for heavy-duty brackets and straps, probably 3/16 of an inch thick. Widths would be in the three-inch range and the lengths would vary from 5 to 8 inches or so. Simpson products are not what I wish to use, I want something that not only is more robust in terms of strength, but also will have the rustic, heavy-duty "look." Unless they come painted black, I plan to paint them black, so I guess they will look like wrought iron.

I can't find anywhere to puchase this type of product. Before posting here, I have googled "post brackets", "angle brackets" , "construction brackets" and many other similar descriptions, but I cannot find anywhere near what I am looking for.

Yes, I know that I can make up drawings and go to a machine shop and have some stuff made up, but I am sure it would be cheaper and save me some time if I could find a source for these items.

Do any of you have any ideas of locating a source for what I am looking for ??

Thanks for any suggestions !!!

--James--

Reply to
James

To get this type of bracket in this thickness you will have to have them custom made. I am not aware of any manufacturer who uses 3/16" material.

One note: if there is a Simpson Factory "fab shop" in your area, they can also make custom brackets of the dimensions you need. however, I'm guessing that a local steel fabricator can probably do the job cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

and my comment would be why not use a simpson post cap? why 3/16" thick? are you planning to store your wood on top of your woodshed or in it?

Reply to
marson

That's a simple job for your local neighborhood welding shop. They can even apply an even more "rustic look" by hammering the material.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Phil, thank you and others for helpful replies. I will check on those names.

I welcome further comments on this.

--James--

Reply to
James

Where are you at? I have a source for custom brackets like this. I know exactly what you are talking about looking for them on line or local. The simpson or USP architectural series or USP ornamental series will cost you a lot more than having them made.

I would be willing to serve as your middle man for a few bucks over cost if you provided drawings. Post your e-mail address or some way of contacting you and we can discuss further. I have a picture of a custom joist hanger I had made I can send you.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Do some searching for "TECO Timber".

Be prepared to have your checkbook extremely well prepared. As posted alreay having these fasteners fabricated locally will likely be far more cost effective (though still very expensive).

We have built several structures, though larger than a shed, and we have either fab'd the pieces ourselves or had them fab'd at a local shop. $30-$50+ per simple connection would not be uncommon. And dont forget the fasteners that will follow. It would not be uncommon to spend a couple hundred dollars in lags/rod/nuts/etc. to put these connectors together.

Perhaps you have a desire to learn metal fabrication as a hobby. A cutting rig, small welder, and small hyd. brake may cost $1000.00. A small drill press for $250.00. Add a sheet of 3/16 plate at $300.00 and you could make the connectors yourself for $1500.00 but you'd have all the gear to boot!!

Mark

Reply to
M&S

That would be WhiteCap I believe :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Simpson has a line

check them out

they're 7 gage thickess ~.180 but only 2.5" wide :(

I'd take a look at them before fab' ing custom.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Check these custom brackets out -

cost $7 including primer. Not too bad.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

From where?

Reply to
M&S

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. Bob, thanks, and I am looking at those Simpson products, and have emailed them for prices and catalogs.

M&S posted a picture of a bracket line that I would LOVE to review, but not a hint of who makes it or where you found it. M&S, could you provide more info on those nice brakets please ??

Again, that you ALL for the nice replies !!!

--james--

Reply to
James

Actually, I didnt post the pic of the bracket. "No" posted that pic. I also posted a response asking where those were available for $7.00. I have a feeling $7.00 is what the material (and primer) cost No to make that bracket but its just a guess. There is far from $7.00 worth of steel and paint in that bracket but you would need a welder, saw, grinder, and drill press to fab those yourself hehe. If you were to amortize the cost of that equipment out over say, a couple hundred, of those brackets they may cost $7.00/ea. ;)

I would however guess you could find a local shop to make brackets, hangers, and bases, similar to that using stock (cheap) angle for less than you imagine. Its worth a couple phone calls.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Ok Mark, thanks !!!

--james--

Reply to
James

I can't help wondering why you're using metal connectors, when it sounds like you're building a timber-frame building. Why not go with pegged mortice and tennon?

Reply to
Goedjn

The reason why I am using metal connectors is that I like them.

--James--

Reply to
James