Heavy Duty Standards and Brackets

A few months back, Woodworker's Journal published the plans for a rolling wood storage unit and it looks like it will be perfect for my needs. However, I ran into two pretty pricey items on the rack and I was wondering if anyone had a cheaper source. The vertical members of the rack have 55" standards going up them. There are five on a side for a total of ten standards. The brackets for the standards are modestly placed about two feet apart, so there are three brackets on each standard for a total of 30 brackets.

I found the items at Garrett-Wade, but they want $24.95 for each standard ($249.50) plus $3.00 shipping surcharge for each ($30). Then each 14" bracket is $11.95 ($358.50) plus $1.00 shipping surcharge for each ($30). That's $668.00. Add to that six casters that will hold 500 lbs load at $32.95 each ($197.90) and it brings you to $865.70 before you buy the wood to build the rack. Throw in some plywood, regular shipping charges, the UHMW strips, carriage bolts, lag screws and you're playing with $1,000 for a rolling wood rack.

So, my question for you knowledgeable fellows; where can I get brackets and standards that will support the weight of lumber inexpensively? The brackets can't be the type that have a brace coming off the bottom for support, because it uses up all the storage space.

Also sources for swiveling casters that will hold 500 lbs would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

---Mike

Reply to
Praising Jesus

Try Woodcraft for the same thing at a lower price. Their part number is

131189 for a kit of three vertical sets (both lengths), 6 18" brackets, 6 14" brackets and 3 8" brackets. Still not cheap but they really hold the weight without interfering with the storage space below. See them all at
. Shipping for the kit was $ 11.99.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
toto

if it were me, I'd go to a store fixture supply house..surprizing how the retail price is so vastly different from the wholesale, well, maybe not...

Reply to
FEngelman