Keeping cupboards doors open and closed . . .

I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car (Peugeot Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a frame:

The top of the frame will be finished with 12mm ply which will serve variously as seats, a bed and a backrest, and each section will piano hinge open to enable access to storage.

The LHS section goes over where the back seats were. 2 pieces of ply will go on top of the unit, hinged. This will then fold out to form a backrest, and hinge down to make a flat surface for sleeping etc. Other conversions use a piece of wood to support the 'backrest' - usually against the front seats. The same piece of wood then supports the ply on the floor in the flat position. This is fine - it seems to work, but looks clumsy. Any other ideas about how to support the ply at say upright and flat?

My next problem is securing the various cabinet tops/seats. I'd like something that stretches or cams to latch the tops securely on the move. I suppose a bungee/hook would do it. Any better ideas?

And holding the tops in the open position - something reliable and unobtrusive. I've got a 50N gas strut, but that seems an improbable amount of force for a c.2kg bit of ply. A formula suggests it might work:

but I'm not sure whether this is the best method (I've not seen it used). Others seem to use stay arms, which would be OK, but look a bit tatty to my eye.

Reply to
RJH

Daughters ex did similar in his Berlingo. ;-)

One of the methods often used is a simple turnbuckle, often poking though a hand / finger hole also used to lift the panel etc. With a reasonable friction on the turnbuckle there is little chance of it undoing when the vehicle is in motion.

Turnbuckles again?

strip) and any hinges strong enough then you should be ok.

I think they may overcomplicate things, unless there is no other way.

I think it can depend on how they are designed and implemented. ;-)

You probably already know this but you might need to watch out for condensation, depending on when / where you camp out and if the van will be lined / insulated etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Andrew

Good grief. Not sure how much it's a 'credible job' :-)

Reply to
RJH

Yes, this is a Berlingo clone (or the other way round)

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I think it could be very neat - if done properly.

On the forums they either fit a roof light, or crack open the windows and add some deflectors to keep the rain out.

Have to admit this is very much at the planning stage - lots I haven't considered, and my tendency to overthink things needs to be put away to the side :-)

Reply to
RJH