Extandable closet pole?

I thought I'd seen a post about this a few months back, but a search did not turn it up.

We're losing a couple of smaller closets to a renovation, but I could replace them with a long narrow closet. This would actually give more space, but it's too narrow for a walk-in. So I was thinking I could have some kind of spring loaded pole that would extend out of the opening. The closet will be about 30" * 10'. I'd be happy with about 3' of pole. I could build my own using a larger outer pipe sliding on a smaller inner pipe, but if a commercial product exists, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Assuming I build my own, how would I support the extension? Some kind of sliding bracket on the ceiling attached to the inside edge of the outer pipe?

Reply to
Bill Stock

Track parts for a cannonball barn door would do the trick- check nearest farm supply. A 4' or so square hanging down from the track, with 6 feet of pole cantilevered off the front. When you pull on the cantilevered end, the square would slide along the track, and the pole would stick out into the room. Another alternative is a free-rolling clothes rack, on casters, but that would not work on carpet, and unless casters were kept very clean, it would scuff wood floors.

But seriously- if it isn't too late already, change your design. 30" wide by

10 ' deep, will be considered a dead space by people looking to buy. Add closets or niches to the adjoining room, in the back six or seven feet of the space. In old-time houses, tiny closets were common, with the out-of-season clothes moved to trunks, or open racks in attic, etc. You could even hide the closets in the adjoining room behind shallow hinged 'built in' bookcases.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks,

Maybe I'll build a recessed bar in the back half of the closet to hide the supporting rod and make better use of the space.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Check out the ClosetMaid hardware for configuring closets. They have poles which mount directly from the shelves and can be coupled together. You can buy the materials at Lowes and Home Depot.

Reply to
John Grabowski