New drivers

I swapped mine at 150K on my van:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I did it that way for ~30 years. Give it a whirl, you might like it.

Reply to
brass monkey

I had a pre-war Austin 7. The handbrake and footbrake both operated the same brakes. So you could shove and pull at the same time. Herbert Austin reckoned decent brakes encouraged poor driving. Of course they also saved him money...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a very lucky deer. Usually the impact kills them.

Andy :P

Reply to
Andy Champ

Some years ago I had a business trip which required me to be in Bangor at the end of the working day to set some equipment up just as the office closed. I took the day over the journey, looked at the mountains, and went down the A5. Afterwards I became aware that my brakes were vibrating when used. Turned out the discs were warped, and I had them replaced.

I went back a couple of weeks later to dismantle the equipment, again at end of day, and again over the A5, again not bothering with engine braking because after all this was the sport model Cavalier with the uprated brakes, and I wasn't really using them much.

And yet again I had vibration, again they had warped, and again the discs had to be replaced. I assume they had overheated on the long descent, and that was what did for them.

I smelt no smells, and felt no fading.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Funny, I think the same about you.

Reply to
dennis

In message , brass monkey writes

and another one. Works for tractors as well:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:-) I'm not sure if it survived or not - wifey had hit the anchors and had almost stopped at the time, so it was very low-speed, but the impact was hard enough to break the grille and bend one of the headlamp brackets out of line. The deer got up and wandered off back into the woods, but it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't broken ribs etc. involved.

She bagged a pigeon a few months before that, and most of that made it through to the engine bay. Messy.

At least we don't get many moose around here :-)

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It could have been crap castings, but its more likely to be stopping, and holding the vehicle on its footbrake rather than releasing the footbrake in the last couple of revolutions of the wheels and then applying the handbrake.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Very odd. Bad castings i'd say.

should be able to get steel brakes red hot...no problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost certainly caused by either sitting with the footbrake or handbrake applied once the discs were hot, causing differential cooling. The standard advice on trackdays is not to apply the handbrake when you come back in from a session because of this very problem.

Reply to
Huge

No excuse for that. A perfect driver would have anticipated the halfwit's action and been going slow accordingly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I had a Commer van which operated the brake lights when the handbrake was on. I thought it was a good thing, but probably gave people the impression I was one of those fools who sit with their foot on the brake pedal at the lights.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Never happened yet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I cannot remember the last time a cyclist sat behind me at a junction.

They always weave in and out of the stationary cars or use the pavement to get to the front of the queue.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would say there was something amiss with the vacuum capsule - iirc, the manifold vacuum should inhibit changes at tickover speed. That's one of the reasons it's there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You don't drive much, do you? I drive 100,000 km per year, have one of the best accident records on the fleet, and even *I* have to brake hard every few months for a similar problem.

Reply to
John Williamson

But you are not claiming to be perfect, unlike dennise.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

well..lest call that perfect halfwit a deer.

If you are going to reduce your speed to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hahahaha.

Bully for you. I drove 500Kmiles on motorcycles, and f*ck nose how many on cars/vans, etc.

Irony, is next to aluminiumy in the Dennis dictionary.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon