Are they all suckers?

I was talking to my boyfriend about the new vaccume cleaner I am going to buy and he said I should be careful as most of them just suck air from the carpet and do not make a vaccume. Aparently not even the Dysson cleaners make a proper vaccume but are just suckers like all the rest. But if thats all they do why are they called vaccume cleaners and isnt it against the Trades and Descriptions Act to say they are something they are not?

Reply to
Sasha Klamp

The word is vacuum and they will all suck up trolls.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

1) Clearly you should not believe everything your boyfriend tells you, at least not without some research on your part! 2) If you mean a "Vacuum Cleaner", then according to my Oxford dictionary it is "... apparatus for removing dust etc. by suction...".

Therefore, unless the "Vacuum Clearner" you intend to buy does not remove dust etc by suction, in my opinion you do not have a claim against the Trade Descriptions Act.

IANAL.

Reply to
Gordon Brown

On 5 Apr 2004 12:23:30 -0700, Sasha snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sasha Klamp) wrote this, or at least some of this:

I've got some nutcrackers but they don't hurt (and some moth balls which are quite big, considering.)

Reply to
Ron Clark

You have it wrong. They are cleaners for sucking vacuums up. So they blow air. A lot are faulty and blow it inwards, unfortunately.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Ron Clark contains these words:

My catalogue seems remarkably pussy free, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Mike wrote: || On the physics side, a vacuum cleaner does create a vaccum, the || vaccum draws the air in to fill the void therefore creating suction. || || Mike

On the physics side there is no such thing as suction. :-)

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob

I know i've never ordered sweet and sour chicken, prawn or pork balls. Never had toad in the hole, sounds uncomfortable.

Regards

Cyber-O

Reply to
Cyber Omega

That gave me paws for thought for a minute.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

In article , Guy King writes

You're obviously looking at the wrong sort of catalogue.

Reply to
Mel Rimmer

The message from Dave Plowman contains these words:

And darned hard to make. I like the way they do it in space - it's already fairly vacuumy, but putting up a thing like a giant dustbinlid and doing your experiments downwind of it ups the quality of the vacuum by several orders of mangychewed 'cos the atoms/molecules can't get round the back fast enough to fill in the void.

And hello, Dave, wot you doing in here? How's uk.rec.cars.maintenance?

Reply to
Guy King

Hi guy - this (uk.d-i-y) was one of the first newsgroups I ever read, and it's such compulsive reading I've stayed with it. UKRM could do with you - and others - back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from Dave Plowman contains these words:

I got fed up with the sniping from the twerps. Perhaps I'll wander back for a look.

Reply to
Guy King

We have a resident twerp here too. But he's very clean.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hello from ye shedde. I seen you elsewhere TAAW. Acorns, that were it. I'm the one with the mouse and the dead minotaur.

Reply to
Sena

On or around Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:13:57 +0100, Sena enlightened us thusly:

verily it is said, there are only 200 people in usenet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

x-no-archive: yes Austin Shackles wrote: news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

the rest are Bob Brenchley's socks.