First they came for lightbulbs

Beware that not all Dualit models have replaceable elements.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very true. I have the 'Classic' old model.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They weren't all banned. Sales of certain types of new ones were, though. If you want incandesent, you can buy halogen types easily enough. Only slightly more efficient than the old ones, but give a pretty similar light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a projector lamp that does the cut-off with a french flag, it's easy to arrange it to give an equally good beam left or centre dip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[snip]

[snip]

That makes the 5 litres of Gallup 360 I found for £25 delivered last week seem rather good value :-)

Reply to
Jim White

What? We're actually in favour of climate change. The warmer the better.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yup. I've recently had 2x5l of the same for £48.90, also delivered free. Will last me for ever and then some!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Red, white & blue headlamps?

Mine are LED and simply don't have that little bit of extra light that lights the hedgerow when on LHD mode.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm have reservations about drying in dishwashers. It works to a degree, I know (it does in ours to some extent, but still leaves puddles in the bottoms of upturned cups and mugs) but attempting to dry anything in a closed system like a dishwasher where there's nowhere for the water vapour to escape is doomed to failure unless the temperature reaches over 100°C. At anything less, drying relies on the diffusion of the water vapour out through a small vent, which will be slow.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They could do something sensible like make them refer to the life of the complete lamp, rather than just the life of the LEDs.

If you were choosing your targets sensibly, you'd do those which would save the greatest amount of energy first. How many minutes per month do you use a hoover or hairdryer?

I think it does refer to electricity supplier transformers, rather than wall-warts, but presumably they are not keen to heat up their switching yards?

Just encourages Dyson's with digital motors etc

Probably can't blame this on "eco" but it's a pain anyway ... being a bloke, I only generally make use of two programmes on my washer-drier (colourfast cotton on hot for towels and colourfast synthetics on cool for everything else). The other week a new white shirt wanted washing as wool, the programme for this claims to be gentler but seems to work by running the drum continually much faster than the usual agitate/pause/agitate etc, presumably this stops the clothes rubbing because they're pinned to the edge of the drum ... except this managed to dislodge loads of black fluff from the outer drum which promptly stuck to the shirt, even running half a dozen wool cycles and boil washes with a couple of bottles of washing machine cleaning fluid didn't stop this happening.

So A->F labelling would be enough.

Dunno, there is a separate document for glandless circulators, would that be a C/H pump in everyday parlance?

Presumably the manufacturers of those regulating C/H pumps didn't think enough people were buying them, so lobbying was a better bet than advertising.

Mine can be continuously throttled between 300W and 1600W, the knob generally lives about 800W.

What percentage of energy is consumed by the likes of Amazon and Google data centres? Do the EU suits think these companies never notice the size of the electric bill or do anything about it, we only have handful of servers in a datacentre, the cost of the entire rack and gigabit connectivity pale compared to the electricity cost.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think its still up for debate soon, and it looks like there is widespread support for a ban in europe (with a small e), the EU seem to be in favour of the stuff.

There was a question about it on GQT a few weeks ago and the wisdom of the panel seemed to be that the fear was that it was carcinogenic, but that there is little evidence that glyposate is harmful when used as directed, but there is much more doubt about some of the surfactants now being added to make it more effective.

Panel believed most likely outcome was a ban for amateurs but the big business would still be able to use it.

so I got

Was that the Roundup brand? I found some on the "discontinued" shelf in my local B&Q at the same price. Fearing that this was a harbinger of the situation above I picked some up, but when I went round to the normal shelf the "New Formulation" product was still there but at I think £48/litre. Quite what the "new formulation" is I don't know as it is still described as 360g/lt.

Chris B

Yes, and it was on the top shelf (so requiring staff with a ladder to ascend and get it). It also had a security tag on it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We are on our second Dualit toaster in about 25 years. Replacing an element on the original was not a huge success. I suspect Hong Kong manufacture.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought it was just those little hotel room kettles that were slow in the US!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Bring back dragging the carpet outside once or twice a year hanging it up and giving it a damm good thrashing with a carpet beater. Good fun when I was 5 and helping my Gran, PIA in modern circumstances with fitted carpets and all the furniture and toys that people now have in rooms needing to be moved.

Have to get some servants to do it, bugger we've left the EU and the natives want a lot money and are demanding things like dust musks while they do the job. Actually joking aside has anybody been in an old nightclub or similar when the carpet has been prised up. A full NBC suit would have been nice to have for ones where I witnessed the job.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A revolutionary Idea.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The Miele's vent externally using some sort of fan (I can hear it and stuff does dry). However, still a problem with puddles on cups etc as you say.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The key point is that it is unnecessary legislation. This costs the taxpayers money in ensuring conformity. IE MORE TAXES IF YOU DON"T VOTE LEAVE!

Reply to
Capitol

That may be correct for LHD. Not sure about things today, but at one time the UK had left hand dip - the lights dipped to the left as well as down. And allowed the kerb finder spike. LHD just a simple downwards dip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. So no regulations for anything? Or just the things you deem unnecessary? And can you be sure the UK government wouldn't have brought in similar legislation anyway?

And a considerably lower standard of living for the majority in the UK if we do leave.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)