First they came....

First they came for the Smokers And I did not speak out Because I was not a Smoker

Then they came for the Drinkers And I did not speak out Because I was not a Drinker

Then they came for the Eaters And I did not speak out Because I was not an Eater

Then they came for me And there was no one left To speak out for me

Organisations representing nearly every doctor in the UK have united in a single campaign to tackle rising levels of obesity.

The campaign will start by reviewing the case for fat taxes, promoting exercise, restricting food advertising and other measures.

The first phase of the campaign will try to find out what works. It will review evidence for diets, exercise, taxation, minimum pricing, changing advertising and food labelling, which medical procedures work and how children are educated.

Recommendations could target food companies who sponsor major sporting events - such as the Olympics - and fast food outlets which operate close to schools.

Prof Stephenson said allowing companies such as Coca-Cola and McDonalds to sponsor the London 2012 Olympics "sends the wrong message."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

This guy gets it right at 13min and 50 seconds.

ARWadsworth

But first they have to decide what is a good diet and a bad diet.

Try Googling LCHF and see how much of that diet is likely to be legislated against.

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

And stop this nonsense about good & bad foods.

Much the same as the advice on the posters on the wall at my junior school.

Agreed, but 1 a month ain't gonna kill ya.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

put the fatties on treadmills and hook em up to the National Grid..

it would be handy for when the wind drops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Worse than a protein shake?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do, you'll still die.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Only if you swallow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try telling that to the wife at the wrong time of the month.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Smoking hot memo from David Hockney to Health Minister: Keep your mean, dreary views out of my life"

Andy Cap

So I am told.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I do expect that the cure for death will be found the day after I die and it must be administered to a living person for it to work

I am going to live forever or die trying.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think it's possible to eat the same amount of food and do exercise to lose weight, you just have to eat *different* food, food with less calories.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Ah, the latest excuse for widespread additional taxation

NT

Reply to
NT

How cynical. Surely they would never....

...oh hang on, they have.

Reply to
Dave - Cyclists VOR

So the "carrot and stick" becomes a "cake and stick"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Silly boy, the electricity rating is for how much they use, not what they generate.

Reply to
dennis

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't stupid enough to smoke!

Reply to
dennis

You could feed them baked beans

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think the real point is that they are not our parents. Providing information is one thing, enforcement quite another.

Reply to
Andy Cap