OT Old three piece suite

My late mother's house has a three-piece suite from circa 1950. Feather-filled cushions, horse hair filling on the main body, professionally re-covered a few times. Hardly highly combustible, but obviously hasn't got a certificate of flame retardance or whatever they have these days. What's the chance of a charity taking it, or is it an inevitable candidate for the skip?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Close to zero I would guess...

Unless you can sell it privately.

Reply to
John Rumm

All you can do with one of those is get it re-upholstered WITH a certificate.

Its worth doing if the frames are comfortable and sound

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unlikely, since they can't easily retail it.

Your best bet's probably freecycling it or putting it into an auction.

Reply to
Adrian

If it's that old -- auction house?

Wonder if the Fire Brigade (if you have one near you) would take it for "practice"?! :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

it's less than that - it's exactly zero

they can't even use it to donate to a deserving family

tim

Reply to
tim...

AS I understand it, charities are not allowed to sell without the flame retardance cert. Age Concern *definitely* can't.

Reply to
Bod

Not without a flame label.

It's tip fodder.

Reply to
Huge

Or keep it until November.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Imagine the odds of buying a pasty from Greggs that is hot and then multiply that by the odds of the Pope being a Jew.

Reply to
ARW

Been there recently. They just look for the label. No label - no thanks.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

there's an exception for "antiques"

but the OP's isn't old enough

tim

Reply to
tim...

That bloke on Salvage hunters frequently buys stuff like that and sells it for a fortune. Send them a picky.

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm afraid it's for the skip. Actually, I'll contact the council and get them to come and collect it, as the settee is far too big for me to manage, and even the chairs would difficult. Pity, really; it's fundamentally much better quality than stuff you get today.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Freecycle.

Reply to
Adrian

But....I've just googled for the regulations (should have done it earlier. Doh!), and they don't apply to furniture made before 1950. Now I don't know the exact date of mfr but it must be about then. I doubt there's a date anywhere (not looked yet), but it might be palmed off as pre 1950 without too much difficulty!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They did that on TV recently. It cost £1,250 for a settee alone and they hadn't found a buyer by the time of broadcast.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 12/05/2016 09:11, Nightjar > Its worth doing if the frames are comfortable and sound

I saw that programme, or at least it was on whilst I did something else. I was impressed by the chandelier made out of old fluorescent tubes. I thought that was worth much more than the £95 it was sold for, whilst I wouldn't have given the sofa house room, let alone have paid £1250+.

Reply to
GB

" The Regulations do not apply to furniture intended for export and furniture manufactured prior to 1950."

I doubt the local Trading Standards are sufficiently knowledgeable date 70 year old three piece suites to the nearest decade

michael adams

michael adams

Didn't see whatever programme you're referring to, but found this which looks more like a Gatling gun than a chandelier ...

Reply to
Andy Burns