Quick building regs question about attic room height requirements.

Could anyone save me a headache and tell me how much head-room is required in a room build within a pitched roof space? I am hoping to make a room who se height varies because of the pitch of the roof. At one side of the room, the wall will be about a metre tall, and the other side of the room will h ave a wall that is taller than a tall human... But I'd like to know what ar e the minimum requirements. What percentage of the room needs to be taller than a human? When I sell the place, I'd like to be able to call the planne d attic room an (official) 'bedroom'. (And yes, the floor will be reinforce d with whatever joist specs building regs require.

Many thanks,

JD

Reply to
wasaol

I don't think there is a defined minimum, except at the head of a staircase entering the loft.

From a personal point of view, it'd depend on what I wanted the room for. Years ago my parents converted their loft into a computer room. There was nowhere I (average height) could stand except in the dead centre, but so what, it was fine for sitting at desk and freed up room in the rest of the house. Equally, a low ceiling would be fine for a space for children to keep and play with toys or for a hobby room. For a bedroom, I'd be more worried about height, especially once you put a bed in and find that there is no space around the bed where you can stand.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You ought to check the building regs before you start doing anything serious, as I think you'll find that there's quite a lot more required than simply height if you want to make it into a habitable room. Read some of these links

Chris Hogg

I don't remember there being a legal requirement for a percentage of the ceiling height being at or above the legal minimum.

You're more likely to have problems with the stairs and fireproofing access than anything else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no required height for a room, only over a staircase (and that is slightly relaxed for loft access)

It really comes down to common sense. If the room is useful and workable, then its ok. One could say that 6'6" is a realistic minimum for at least some of the room. Dwarf walls etc can go down to (much) less - but the room will seem more "inhabitable" if you keep them no lower than 4.5 to 5'

The floor, fire resistance, insulation and access will all need to meet building regs for it to class as a proper bedroom.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

In case its any use, here is one I did "earlier" (like 12 years ago - and the rules have changed a bit since then):

John Rumm

Very helpful - thank you. JD

Reply to
wasaol

ired in a room build within a pitched roof space? I am hoping to make a roo m whose height varies because of the pitch of the roof. At one side of the room, the wall will be about a metre tall, and the other side of the room w ill have a wall that is taller than a tall human... But I'd like to know wh at are the minimum requirements. What percentage of the room needs to be ta ller than a human? When I sell the place, I'd like to be able to call the p lanned attic room an (official) 'bedroom'. (And yes, the floor will be rein forced with whatever joist specs building regs require.

Very helpful - thanks. You and the other responees have given me what I nee ded to know: ie., just enough to be able to decide on the rough roof dimens ions, pitch etc. JD

Reply to
wasaol

That's useful to know - thanks. I guess that will be down to choice of materials and won't affect dimensional constraints - so I've got what I need to know (just enough to do basic planning of the roof dimensions and pitch..

JD

Reply to
wasaol

But you might have to alter existing ground floor ceiling and first floor ceiling to achieve fire ratings, plus fire rated doors with closers leading to hallways and stairs etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting. I had an existing attic room with proper staircase to it enlarged. All under the control of an architect whose work is exceptional.

Bacisally, a full height window across the back wall to replace the original tiny dormer and a flat roof to it - so giving a lot more floor area, as well as plenty light. The front tapers down under the roof to about 4ft high - just about OK for chests of drawers and using them if you're careful not to bang your head.

Snag was by the time they'd installed the larger floor joists needed for such a long span, they also had to raise the ceiling height. Making the job vastly more expensive. (my guess was a structural engineer on his first job. ;-))

I was told there was a legal minimum for any 'new' work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want a reference and some interesting information see:

The section on "Meeting the Regs: Ceiling Height" is nearly half way down the page.

Hope this helps

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

That confirms what I thought. There is no minimum height, except over the stairs.

Reply to
Steve Walker