Gas boiler/heater position

Maybe a daft question, but if space permits, is there any reason you can't put a combi (or gas water heater) under a kitchen worktop?
Grumps wrote:

Can't think of one. The installation manual will usually give the dimensions for the clear space all round the boiler casing needed for maintenance. Bit more of a PITA kneeling down to work on it. Maybe also consider the space needed for an external pressure vessel as the internal one will eventually fail and be expensive or unobtainable and just leaving it in situ and adding generic one downstream is the normal cost effective solution.

Not really - but can make servicing and or repair more awkward. There wouldn't be enough height for my boiler/flue either. Pipework usually come out the bottom of the unit - is there space for that?
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

I guess it'll depend on the boiler/heater I choose as to if there's enough room for pipework. Then that raises another question: The kitchen floor is concrete. Is there a reason not to be able to dig extra space below the appliance? I don't mean a new basement/cellar, just a trench or so.
On 11/05/2016 17:16, Grumps wrote:

For some boilers you can get a piping frame that allows you to stand it off the wall an inch or two and run the pipes behind the boiler. So you can basically pipe straight up if needs be.

Might not do the DPC in the floor much good ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/05/2016 15:12, Grumps wrote:

Ours is under a worktop in a cabinet with a door that matches the kitchen units. Only difference from the rest of the kitchen units is a lift out section of worktop and easy remove (Velcro fitting) kick board.
Mike
On 11/05/2016 15:44, Muddymike wrote:

Any chance of a picture or model of said unit? Ta.

I think you can get floor standing System Boilers.
DerbyBorn wrote:

I built one of those in under a kitchen surface about 40 years ago. It worked OK.
Floor standing combi:
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/directory/greenstar-cdi- highflow
On 11/05/2016 20:33, DerbyBorn wrote:

Thanks. That looks absolutely ideal - except the price tag. A quick Google has the price of the 440CDi as £2k. I am looking for something a lot less than £1k.
On 11/05/2016 15:12, Grumps wrote:

Don't know specifically about gas, but a few weeks ago I was in a new-build property with an oil boiler like that. It had not been possible to "integrate" it with a door like the other cupboards but was perfectly acceptable in my view. Think it was a Worcester Bosch model... but could be wrong.
--
Rod

Grumps wrote:

I saw it done, probably,about 20 years ago. A friend had one installed in a kitchen wall cupboard cabinet quite recently.