gas water heater control valve question

I just got a new control valve for my Kenmore gas water heater, and it came with a plastic sleeve over the thermostat sensor element (the copper rod that extends into the tank). Does that sleeve serve a function or should it be removed before installing the control valve?

Thanks

Reply to
brownie

Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and complain.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"...Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and complain...Joe"

Well, it did come with instructions, which did not address my issue. And I did call Sears and was told they did not offer technical assistance over the phone. I then posted the question on their website, and got no response. So I'm hoping someone else will have the answer. It really is a very simple question, I don't know why I'm getting such a run-around.

Bill

Reply to
brownie

oddly enough i had this same question perhaps 4 years ago. my brand new hot water tank got written up by a home inspector claiming carbon monoxide :(

The tank maker sent me a new control valve, with that plastic coating.

i was required to have a registered plumber install the new valve.

but i dont remember what the plumber did, it was a very busy time.

why not remove the old valve, and see what the manufacturer did.

if the plastic is on there leave it on...............

no plastic on old valve remove it

i believe you will find no plastic but dont depend on me:(

Reply to
hallerb

Excellent idea. I just removed the old one, and lo, it had what appears to have once been a plastic sleeve on it. I installed the new one with the sleeve. Thanks.

--Bill

Reply to
brownie