Water heater thermostat "vacation" setting question

Hi all: Earlier this year, we had a new Bradford White 50 gal. gas water heater installed in our home. Recently we went on a 2 week vacation and turned the thermostat down to the "Vacation" setting before we left. On our return, and before turning the thermostat back to its normal hot setting, we had occasion to turn on the hot water faucets in the house and discovered, to our surprise, that the water came out just as hot as when the thermostat is set to its normal hot setting. The plumber who installed the unit checked out the thermostat and thinks its working properly. If the water in the tank is hot after two weeks with the thermostat set to "Vacation", does that suggest there's a malfunction in the thermostat or elsewhere in the appliance? And if the purpose of the "Vacation" setting is to prevent the unit from firing and is working properly, what kept the water hot for two weeks? Thanks for your replies! PE

Reply to
pe

I don't think Vacation guarantees it won't fire; just lowers the setting.

To keep it from firing, turn the small knob to "PILOT". That will keep the pilot lit, but prevent the main valve from opening.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Do yourself a favor and just turn it completely off the next time you go on vacation.

It only takes an hour or so for it to heat back up upon your return......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

The pilot light will keep the water fairlly warm if the tank has good insulation and noone is drawing water from the tank while you are gone.

Reply to
SJF

As noted, it only turned it down. You might not notice the difference especially if it is coming through a anti-scald device like you will find on most modern showers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

discovered,

"Vacation", does

prevent the

Since we have two little kids in the house, and have a low flow shower head with only one person at a time needing a shower, we normally keep our gas water heater set to "vacation". It is just warm enough for showering with only a small amount of cold water mixed in. Helps with energy conservation that way. If we are going away for an extended period, I just turn it off.

Ken

Reply to
Ken