Power vent hot water heater recommendations?

I want to replace my current gas hot water tank with a power vent unit (about 50 gallon capacity). Years ago we installed a high efficiency furnace-- power vented out the side of the house instead of up the chimney. We experienced the follow-on, much written about, problem of just having the hot water heater venting up the chimney. We had to replace the top 8 feet or so of our chimney-- interior damage due to condensation. I am interested in any recommendations-- best brand or brands to avoid. I have seen some comments/reviews that suggest Bradford White has a good reputation with contractors, Rheem Ruud being okay and AO Smith graded "below average." Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Reply to
Pelorus

Depending upon the volume of domestic hot water you need, I'd consider an electric before a power vent

Reply to
RBM

I ended up with a State brand water heater. But had i been doing it for the reason you are, i'd just put a liner in the chimney unless the chimney is being used for other things.

Reply to
Steve Barker

power vents require power line voltage to operate. having lived thru a multi day power outage years ago a old dummy tank will operate with no power.

something you should be aware of before buying

Reply to
bob haller

For tanks my AO commercial units last, look at the Vertex. Nobody rates them low.

Reply to
ransley