Timer switch on power vent water heater?

I have an AO Smith FPSH 40 power vented water heater that performs quite well and is fairly efficient. The power for the vent is supplied from a line cord and a GFCI-protected outlet. Is there any reason NOT to install a digital timer switch (the one I have is rated for 10 amps, several times the draw of the fan) so the unit shuts down at night rather than keeping the water hot? FWIW the unit has no standing pilot and the controller is rigged so that the gas supply shuts off if the power is cut, so there's no probably if it's heating when the switch turns off...the same thing can be done with the manual switch on the side of the blower unit in fact.

thanks,

Kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

BTDT Yep. Excellent idea to cut standby losses.

As a bonus, you don't have the noise of the thing running while sleeping.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That's how we do it.

There are some digital timer switches that have an "override" button to either turn on the appliance, or turn it off, w/o actually changing the program, to "demand" hot water if needed off-program.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

standby losses are very low with your average foam insulated hot water tank today.

I doubt you will reclaim the cost of the timer, and set it to turn on early enough so your morning shower isnt cool.

For a variety of reasons I have turned my gas tank off over a period of a day, with no loss of hot water.......

your tank uses little gas or power when someone isnt uing hot water.

please report back your savings if any

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for the info everyone-- not sure if I'll realize (or be able to track) much savings from this, but since the timer was only $10 it's worth the effort. I know it runs occasionally at night now, as I can hear the blower kick on when the house is really quiet. Perhaps I'll track it for a week using a kWh meter, then set up the timer for comparison.

regards,

Kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda