Washing machine waste pipe position

I am told it is "not correct" for a washing machine waste pipe to exit directly behind a washing machine. Why is this? Are there any issues about the washing machine waste emptying via the sink trap. I am concerned about the rate of Water discharge.

Reply to
clive.r.long

It's perfectly correct...

Both stand pipes and sink traps work fine IME.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you've got the space, I can't think of a reason.

I have my washing machine (and dishwasher) waste connected to the sink waste. And it empties at quite a rate from a pump in the cellar. I think it's just a matter of time before it pops the push fit pipework. So in the course of time, I will install a dedicated washing machine waste. Before it's too late. Or maybe just after - haven't decided yet.

Also, and I'd guess that this is because there's a fair amount of water sitting in the 22mm/10m pipe between washes, it's quite smelly - so it'd be an idea to to route the washing machine waste after the sink trap.

Reply to
RJH