First they came for lightbulbs

Not sure but I'd like to make sure that such a decisions are made for the right reasons and if were me I'd insist a new form of suction power was used rather than electrical power. Dyson use air watts not sure why other componies don't do the same. youd'd have thought the EU would bring something like that in a real comparision. But lets think about this it'll take 27 countires to agree on this and they'd have to have quite a few meeting in plush hotels, they won't decide by a simple cheap email or ballot voting.

So why don't the EU do someothing useful in comparing such things rather than ban something just on comsumption of power.

Well I guess 3.1KW is reasnable any higher could be dangerous in the UK. Not sure how the kettle in the USA deal with this.

I'd have to know them to judge such a thing although I could judge by their actions. Few polititions are stupid they are usually far more inteligent than those calling them stupid.

and what you're sucking of coure.

of course that also depends on how you meauser the efficincy. How would you compare a broom with a vacuum ?

You know people leanrt to clean before teh invention of the vacumm so they are far from essential products.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So far on the ze list ...

micro generation lamps/lighting solid fuel heaters/boilers professional refrigeration units games consoles ventilation units power transformers domestic ovens and hobs electric motors household washing machines/driers water heaters televisions water pumps vacuum cleaners computers and servers air conditioners and comfort fans fans driven by motors between 125W and 500kW dishwashers

Reply to
Andy Burns

About all you could do is make em like thermos kettles.

To reduce heatloss through the case

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easy. Make them so only the slot with bread in it heats up.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Generally by having gas hob ones rather than electric ones.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Neighbour went into our local garden centre, part of Wyvale Gardens and selected some weed'n'feed for his lawn but when he tried to pay for it the computer said no. Apparently another EU dictat has become law recently and the staff didn't know the offending stuff was still on the shelf. They wouldn't sell it to him.

Strangely enough there seems to have been an increase in the number of people offering to 'de-weed and green your lawn' (for a huge price). Have garden chemicals been restricted to 'professional use' recently ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm sure the UK national FM transmitters have already secretly been condemned, and are just waiting for a suitable time to bury bad news. June 24th maybe ?

Reply to
Andrew

Actually burnt bread (and protein for that matter) creates carcinogenic subtances.

Reply to
Andrew

I doubt it. Not VHF anyway.

UHF analogue has gone already

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what WAS wrong with agent orange, anyway? Why can't we just buy that over the counter?

No, it's just that there's a f*ck of a lot of terminally indolent people who are happy to spend money rather than get off their backsides, especially if the spendiness is wrapped up as a nice monthly DD.

Reply to
Adrian

Just to give credit to the EU (for once - I don't usually) I think that the real reason is not to increase efficiency of the kettle but to reduce the peak load on the generation system when 10 million of them are turned on at half time in the cup final. Ten million 2.4 kw kettles is a lot lower peak demand than 10 million 3.0 kw kettles, so you don't have to have the same peak capacity in the generating system (so their beloved wind-mills might look more attractive).

Time wasted by 30 million people waiting longer every time they boil the kettle day in day out cup final or no cup final is of course not counted by the EU efficiency plonkers

Reply to
Chris B

How do you work out the efficincy of say one of the plastic £5 ones co mpared to the £60+ one I brought. (actually I have both, I have 4 tin openers too)

It would be a good idea to do that but with more thought put into it. we should limit all cars so they can;t go more than say 20 MPH above the s peed limit, driving fast ins't effecinet is it, and neither is driving at 2

0 MPH. But if it allows me to go to a fine hotel with fine wines and quaiitly foo d for a couldpe of weeks then I'll vote for toaster only being powered by the sun, if it pays my salery.

It starts with one doesn't it.

So what are the real proposals maybe if they were actually explained.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Have you every heard or seen steam come out of teh spout. Have you ever touched the side of a kettle.

When you switch a kettle off it doesn't stay boiling for very long does it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

'course, if those 10m kettles were better insulated, then less heat would be lost while the water is being boiled, and less heat would have been lost before the kettle is next boiled.

I'll leave it to others to decide if there are other efficiency gains to be made - perhaps by more efficient element design, especially in kettles where the element isn't in direct contact with the water.

But, no, let's just lob some more coal on the power station instead. There's plenty more dead dinosaurs where that came from.

Reply to
Adrian

Oh satire! It was a comment on the technical judgements of TPTB in Brussels who think that reducing the wattage on things would reduce electricity demand, so they might also think that the glow from an LED bulb was much like the glow from a toaster element, so must be as hot and would make toast equally well.

Or were you querying whether I actually wondered if they made toast? That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but less so than the first part.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Each to their own. I prefer a stew etc I actually know what is in it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they set an upper limit on power input, those who can't make a decent vacuum with that power will go out of business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No reason why it should - if you only boil enough for your immediate needs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

Oh? GridWatch showing 0% for coal most of today...

:)

ps. just kidding. I agree with you.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Electric kettles in US are useless. Take 10 mins to boil. I know. I've lived there. In the end I took over a 230v kettle and wired it into the cooker point, which is 220v. (the supply is 110-0-110)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson