First they came for the CFLs...

"BRITAIN faces a new round of lightbulb chaos with EU plans to ban halogen lights and force people to buy alternatives that are up to 12 times more expensive, experts warned yesterday."

HeyBub

When light bulbs are outlawed, only outlaws will have light bulbs.

Proles will be back to candle light and wick lamps.

.

Stormin Mormon

sounds like I need to get in the export business. I'll only charge

6x the cost.
Reply to
G. Morgan

And it turns out that the European Commission is only writing a draft proposal for discontinuing the sale of the least efficient of these bulbs, with no penalties for flouting the ban. They are targeting the poor quality bulbs manufactured in China, with the goal of motivating those manufacturers to improve their products. Further, the phaseout would occur over a period of several years, not instantly next year.

In other words, no big deal.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Of course it's no big deal, but people only read the sensationalized headlines.

The fancy high-end designer bulbs cost 12X as much. If you just get the slightly better bulbs that are compliant with the new law, they cost 1.05X as much. Given a year or two, the better bulbs will cost .

75X as much as the cheap ones do now.

Let's all get our panties in a wad, and start an armed revolt!

Reply to
dennisgauge

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind if they will last 12 times longer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can't do that, sorry. Britain banned guns a couple years ago.

.