A Big Climate Problem With Few Easy Solutions: Planes

A Big Climate Problem With Few Easy Solutions: Planes By Chokshi & Krauss, 5/28/21, New York Times

The worst of the pandemic may be over for airlines, but the industry faces another looming crisis: an accounting over its contribution to climate change.

The industry is under increasing pressure to do something to reduce & eventually eliminate emissions from travel, but it won?t be easy. Some solutions, like hydrogen fuel cells, are promising, but it?s unclear when they will be available, if ever. That leaves companies with few options: They can make tweaks to squeeze out efficiencies, wait for technology to improve or invest today to help make viable options for the future.

?It?s a big crisis, it?s a pressing crisis ? a lot needs to be done soon,? said Jagoda Egeland, an aviation policy expert at the Int'l Transport Forum, a unit of the OECD. ?It?s a hard-to-abate sector. It will always emit some carbon.?

Experts say commercial air travel accounts for about 3-4% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. And while planes become more efficient with each new model, growing demand for flights is outpacing those advancements. The UN expects airplane emissions of CO2, a major greenhouse gas, to triple by 2050. Researchers at the Int'l Council on Clean Transport say emissions may grow even faster.

Before the pandemic, a ?flying shame? movement, which aims to discourage air travel in favor of greener options like rail, was gaining ground globally thanks to Greta Thunberg, a Swedish climate activist. There were early signs that it may have reduced air travel in Germany & Sweden. Now French lawmakers are considering a ban on short flights that can be replaced by train travel.

Investors are pushing businesses to disclose more about their efforts to lobby lawmakers on climate issues, too. And some large corporations, whose employees crisscross the globe & fill plush business class seats, are reviewing travel budgets to reduce expenses & emissions.

The urgency isn?t lost on the industry. Scott Kirby, the CEO of United Airlines, speaks often about the need to address climate change, but even he acknowledges that it will be difficult for the industry to clean up its act. He wants United & other airlines to try different things & see what works.

?It is the biggest long-term issue that our generation faces. It is the biggest risk to the globe,? Kirby said in a recent interview. ?There are plenty of things we can compete on, but we all oughta be trying to make a difference on climate change.?

There are efforts to electrify small planes for short flights ? including one backed by United ? but doing the same for longer, larger flights will be tough, maybe impossible. Commercial planes like the Boeing 787 & Airbus A320, which can carry a few hundred passengers, require an immense amount of energy to reach cruising altitude ? more energy than modern batteries can efficiently supply.

Someday, hydrogen fuel cells & synthetic jet fuel could help to decarbonize the industry, & pilot projects have already begun, mainly in Europe, where Airbus says it plans to build a zero-emission aircraft by 2035. Boeing has put its emphasis on developing more fuel-efficient planes & is committed to ensuring that all of its commercial planes can fly exclusively on ?sustainable? jet fuel made from waste, plants & other organic matter.

?It?s going to be a real stretch.?

At a petrochemical plant outside Houston, Neste U.S. & Texmark Chemicals are converting imported undistilled diesel into renewable jet fuels. The undistilled diesel is made from used cooking oil & waste from vegetable & animal processing plants.

Neste, a Finnish company, is the world?s largest producer of renewable jet fuel. Its U.S. customers include American Airlines, JetBlue & Delta Air Lines.

United, which buys renewable jet fuel from Fulcrum BioEnergy & World Energy, recently announced a deal with more than a dozen major corporate customers, including Deloitte, HP & Nike, that will result in the airline?s buying about 3.4 million gallons of sustainable fuel this year. American has an agreement to buy 9 million gallons of such fuel over several years, & Delta says it plans to replace a tenth of its jet fuel with sustainable alternatives by 2030.

?There is huge growth potential for sustainable aviation fuel,? said Jeremy Baines, president of Neste U.S. ?It?s a niche market today, but it?s growing very rapidly. Between today & 2023 we are going to increase our production at least 15-fold.?

Neste produces 35 million gallons of renewable aviation fuel & hopes to reach 515 million gallons annually by the end of 2023 by ramping up production at refineries in Singapore & Rotterdam, the Netherlands. That is enough to fuel close to 40,000 flights by wide-body aircraft between New York & London, or well over a year?s worth of prepandemic air travel between the two cities.

But it is important to put those numbers in perspective. U.S. airlines used more than 18 billion gallons of fuel in

2019, & the country as a whole consumes over 100 billion gallons of petroleum products annually.

Rystad Energy, a Norwegian consulting firm, predicts that renewable fuels will become increasingly economical after

2030 & supply 30% of all aviation fuel by 2050. But IHS Markit, a U.S. consulting firm, estimates that sustainable jet fuel will make up only 15% of all jet fuel by 2050.

Renewable jet fuel has its limits, too. The fuel reduces carbon emissions by only 30-50% compared with conventional jet fuel, acc. to Daniel Evans, the global head of refining & marketing at IHS Markit. What?s more, production of the fuel can cause deforestation when raw materials are farmed.

Some co's want to get around those problems by avoiding agricultural crops. Fulcrum, in which United is invested, is planning to build a plant in Britain to produce jet fuel out of waste from landfills & other trash. Red Rock Biofuels, a Colorado company, hopes to use waste woody biomass.

But development of renewable fuels from waste or substances like fast-growing algae & switch grass has been frustratingly slow.

?It?s going to be a real stretch,? Evans said. ?Even if you are burning 100% biofuel, it?s still not going to be getting you to carbon neutral.?

Biofuels are also about 50% more expensive to make than conventional fuel, according to Michael E. Webber, chief sci/tech officer of Engie, a French utility working on advanced jet fuels.

Hydrogen offers another possibility, although probably not for several decades. Instead of batteries or fuel engines, the potential hydrogen-powered aircraft of the future would operate with hydrogen tanks & fuel cells, though the tech would need to be advanced to reduce the size of the tanks & cells. The hydrogen could be made with renewable power sources like the wind & sun to reduce planet-warming emissions. But such fuels cost 2-3 times more than conventional fuel, experts say.

Several Euro countries also require refiners to produce & blend renewable jet fuel. The EU is financially supporting Airbus?s development of a hydrogen-fueled aircraft, & the French govt is encouraging Air France to research a synthetic jet fuel.

In the US, federal support is minimal, so far. Renewable jet fuel producers receive a $1/gal subsidy under existing federal tax credits for biodiesel, but a bill introduced this month in the House would provide a tax credit starting at $1.50/gal. A tax on carbon emissions could help make alternative fuels more competitive against conventional jet fuel in the future.

Should airlines offset or store carbon?

Another option that many airlines have turned to is carbon offsets. By buying an offset, a company or individual effectively pays somebody else to plant or not cut trees or to take other steps to reduce greenhouse gases.

But the benefits of some offsets are difficult to measure ? it?s hard to know, for example, whether landowners would have cut down trees had they not been paid to preserve woods, a common type of offset. Kirby, the United CEO, is skeptical that such offsets are effective.

?Traditional carbon offsets are a marketing initiative; they?re greenwashing,? he said. ?Even in the few cases where they are real & are making a difference, they?re just so small that they can?t scale to solve the global problem.?

United helps passengers & corporate customers buy offsets, but Kirby said the company was focusing more on sustainable fuel & removing & storing carbon in perpetuity.

In Dec, the airline said it was investing in 1PointFive, a joint venture between Occidental Petroleum & a private equity firm that plans to build plants that suck CO2 from the air & store the gas deep underground. This approach would theoretically allow United & other airlines to remove as much carbon from the atmosphere as their planes put into it.

?It?s the only solution I know of that can help get us as a globe to zero, because the others, if you understand the math, they just don?t work,? Kirby said.

Such efforts had long been dismissed as impractical, but corporations are increasingly pouring money into them as investors & activists pressure businesses to decarbonize. Kirby said such investments would help to drive down costs. But some experts warn that while direct air capture can help i ndustries that are difficult to decarbonize, the ultimate aim should be to attack the problem at the source.

?If you can avoid the emissions in the first place, it?s so much cheaper & easier than having to pull it back out,? said Jennifer Wilcox, an Energy Dept official & expert on direct air capture.

Despite the formidable challenges, Kirby is optimistic that investments in alternative fuels and carbon capture tech will yield a breakthrough.

?In the near term, it?s about getting them to work economically,? he said. ?Once you cross that threshold, you will have an exponential increase.?

David P

The world is already experiencing another and bigger crisis:

"The 2006 report Livestock's Long Shadow, released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, states that "the livestock sector is a major stressor on many ecosystems and on the planet as a whole. Globally it is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases (GHG) and one of the leading causal factors in the loss of biodiversity, and in developed and emerging countries it is perhaps the leading source of water pollution.

Meat production is a major driver of climate change. A 2017 study published in the journal Carbon Balance and Management found animal agriculture's global methane emissions are 11% higher than previous estimates based on data from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

TOO MANY FECKING PEOPLE FUCKING PEOPLE.

Reply to
Richard

Who are, of course, a bunch of crooks...

"We (the UN/IPCC) redistribute de facto the world's wealth by climate policy..."

"One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy any more..."

(written by an IPCC panel member, around 2010)

Reply to
Spike

The IPCC's terms of reference are - as well as almost impossible to find online - to examine and chart the likely effects of man made climate change and provide political guidance..

Examining whether or not man made climate change actually exists in any significant way is completely outside their remit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Of course, but what do *you* think we should do about that now?

We had already consciously decided we didn't want to be part of the problem by only having two children (and have already lost one).

Our remaining child (30) consciously doesn't want to bring a child into this world, *because* of the mess we have already got it into.

At what point do people start thinking of anything other than themselves, like many of those living more in harmony with the earth were doing all those years ago?

'We' can easily help out without having to protest, lobby governments or glue ourselves to the ground by just considering the impact of our actions and adjusting our lifestyles accordingly. Like recycling more, , traveling less (by plane / IC car), not wasting so much food or not eating as much meat or consuming animal based products.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

*I* think that we should stop curing those who will not stop breeding at unsustainable. We should stop feeding those that cannot feed themselves.

That is what *will* happen in the long term whether *we* like it or not.

Reply to
Richard

It's a bit like god, up in the air.

Reply to
jon

Is there any reason why you don't promote methods of reducing a ruminant's methane production?

Perhaps recommend a switch from beef to pork or chicken that doesn't have the same impact on the environment, or even the same food uptake for a 1kg of meat.

That doesn't mean the 2017 numbers are any more correct. Your article contradicts your claim by saying, "In the US, methane emissions associated with ruminant livestock are estimated to have declined by about 17 percent from 1980 through 2012"

Reply to
Fredxx

Sounds like you've brainwashed him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No, it isn't. Its more like shit. Known to exist by the smell

Every single scrap of unbiased unadjusted evidence proves beyond reasonable doubt that carbon dioxide has very little effect on the worlds climate and indeed tends to follow temperature, not lead it.

Furthermore the effects of a couple of degrees rise and extra CO2 would be nothing but beneficial to the world

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

T i m ' s beliefs support brainwashing/conditioning providing it aligns with his anti-meat-eating crusade that he cloaks with his brow-beaten acceptance of veganism.

Reply to
Spike

Ironically it's though *her* that we have better aligned our actions with our morals (faster, we were doing more and more of that anyway) and in doing so make the world a better place for *ALL* animals (live stock that don't have to suffer and die, the wildlife that are suffering because of habitat destruction to grow food for the live stock and humans because of the reduced resource consumption and pollution from not having to feed all the livestock).

I really don't see how you think this world (the environment) is better than is was before we started f****ng it up, polluting the seas with animal waste and plastics, the air with fossil fuel pollution and habitat destruction and species extinction?

If there were any brainwashing going on it might be by those who fall for all the marketing BS and how that leads to wanton consumption, waste and obesity?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh dear. Are we absolutely certain that there is binary gender stuff going on here?

Reply to
Richard

Only if you want to see that rather than the spirit of the point (in good trolling fashion). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You got that right at least. ;-)

Please don't lower yourself to the level of *those* two trolls.

Why couldn't it be perfectly reasonable that someone could just need the 'leg up' to a change in lifestyle that means their actions match their morals (something we had been doing slowly in any case, us not drinking cows milk for some 5 years previous, not eating much meat and preferring the likes of Quorn mince to the stuff full of blended eyeballs and aresoles)?

The actual fact is that our daughter just gave us the opportunity to see the truth better for ourselves and *WE* decided to carry on with it from then on. And it was far from a hard sell, it was that she announced that she was going to *try* going vegan (from a vegi for a few years, thinking that was enough before realising the egg and dairy industry were as bad or worse) for one month (veganuary) and we

*offered* to join her.

It's no different to someone here putting someone else onto the benefits of a better diet or off some harmful prescription drug mix when it's better for them and others.

That fact that anyone can't accept that as the truth says more about them than they realise.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought you were going to put OT in front of any of sermons from the keyboard?

Reply to
John Rumm

You are the lowest of the low. You are the very definition of a troll.

"a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet".

Now if you stopped posting OT topics regarding your fanatical subject in a DIY group, you would no longer be the uk.d-i-y number one troll.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sincere apologies. Is he animal or vegetable?

Reply to
Richard

*I* do, but I'm guessing you are mistaking me for the OP of the thread (and there was me thinking you were a technical type).

Aww, and 'sermon' .... bless. ;-)

So, the words 'zoonotic pandemic', 'habitat destruction', 'wildlife species extinction', 'animal exploitation' and 'antibiotic resistance' and not worthy of consideration / discussion then (and with a very simple solution to most of them), over and above ALL the other unmarked and blatantly OT posts here (or just the ones you don't like to read at least)?

If someone posts something re the potential damage to the ozone from aeroplanes, why wouldn't mentioning something that is suggested to cause even more damage to the same to put it into proportion.

We can't easily halt air traffic but we can easily reduce the quantities of 'man made' methane production (that is 10x worse as a GWGG than CO2)[1].

Cheers, T i m

[1] And whilst it's impact reduces relatively quickly compared with CO2, it still remains active in the atmosphere at lower concentrations for over 500 years and has a GWP of 28?36 over 100 years.
Reply to
T i m