It finally came!

My Seed Savers catalog that is. Me and a friend(who demanded I let her look at it and request one for her too) and my mother kinda drooled on it, and said friend wants to eventually start a seed-saving community thing in this area. First purchase from the catalog for me will be that Seed to Seed book. The plants/seeds shall have to wait til mom and I get the greenhouse built. This climate it's pretty necessary. But once the greenhouse(s) is/are built, I am SO ordering tons of stuff(from quite a few nurseries). Especially since we're gonna be taking care of our overabundance of roosters soon, then put the hens back in the coop, and the geese in the dog pen(it's got a house they can use in bad weather), and a kiddie pool for them to play in, and catch all the bunnies and sell 'em. Then I don't have to worry about my plants getting eaten by them. Still our dogs and the wild animals too worry about, like the deer, but I'll cope. :-)

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Ain't that catalog great? So is the organization.

The quality of the seeds thay sell is outstanding....always have had good germination.

Good on ya for getting Seed to Seed.......it is wonderful.

You mentioned recently that you were in Klamath County. Don't worry, I'm not trying to locate ya', just talk a bit. ;-)

A friend an I worked for BN many, many years ago in the Columbia River Gorge, between Stevenson and Wishram, on the WA side.

Every weekend we would go on a trip and head south along the coastal highway. We always intended to make it to Crater Lake, but were always sidetracked by one thing or another and never did make it any farther than Eugene. Met a lot of wonderful folks in the Cascades, many back to the landers and an assorted bunch of misfits from the sixties and early seventies.

Guess the point of this is just to tell you, that when I think of what I always wanted, but never achieved, it lies within your state. Beautiful country and great people. One of the high points of my life.

Always wanted to make it down to northern CA (lots of you Oregonians, at the time, called CA residents.....californicators.... easy Billy), but hell, we always got lost or ran out of steam by then.

Keep on Caring and Thanks for the Memories Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

haha well I've been Klamath County for 4 years now, and many years ago, lived for 7 years at least in northern CA, and I wanna go back to Seattle! I don't think I'll make it though, things keep happening here, good and bad(good as in making money selling critters/produce/plants/crafts, bad as in my mother's health is not doing so well). If we could just win the lottery, we'd keep our property now, and I go back and forth to Seattle as I please. Because I really do like our place, but it's like an hour from anywhere decent...which means $20 roundtrip for gas. It adds up...at least we don't have sales tax! I went back to Seattle for a week to visit family, and I had totally forgotten there was such a thing as sales tax ;-)

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Not to worry Charlie. I'm all in favor of fornication. Heck, if my parents and been Californicators, it's hard to imagine where I'd be today. Good for the cardio-vascular system too. Helps keep that spring in your step;-)

Reply to
Billy Rose

hmmm....so fornication is good for the soul. It is said confession is good for the soul. So...... is confessing fornication good for the soul?

We had sliced chioggia beets on the grill tonite, with a little EVO and kosher salt.......nearly as good as ....... well you know.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and a

8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.
Reply to
Manelli Family

Oh we're building our own with materials gathered from here and there. Mom wants to use glass windows but my research says regular glass windows don't give the plants quite what they need, fiberglass windows are better, but I want to use different stuff, it's like a thick white film, made specifically for greenhouses, lets what the plants need in, keeps cold and other bad shit out. I also want it a pit style greenhouse(my research also says those are very efficient).

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

I truely doubt it.

Reply to
Billy Rose

I have used regular window glass for plants for years with no trouble. Unless your glass is different from U. K. glass you should have no trouble. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

If you guys have any building skills at all, you can build your own greenhouses. We built an 8'x10'the other day. It didn't cost us anything, because the neighbor gave us a couple of sheets of that fiberglass sheeting that got torn on one edge (she works at the local lumberyard). We milled all of the lumber on our sawmill. I found all of the hardware at the dump. (Nails, screws, little joist hangers. They were in a nice, wooden fishbox that my salad garden is growing in, as I type, next to my front door.)

My laying hens are still using my other greenhouse. That one is

10'x16'. A hen went broody last month, so I decided to NOT move everyone out, while Broody was setting. Now that the chicks are a couple of weeks old, I may build them an official henhouse and take my old greenhouse back.

We built the new greenhouse because my tomato plants were taking over my kitchen. I told the SO that either he had to go, or the 'mater plants had to go. A few minutes later, I heard the table saw fire up -- he was cutting the frame for a new greenhouse : )

PS: We've used reinforced poly for the "skin" on greenhouses with great success here. We get v. high winds and a big snow load. The reinforced stuff will last for ~3 years here. It's expensive. It's worth it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora