starting back up for the year

pulling off the last of the old bean vines from the fence.

chopping up the wild grapevines so i can spread them on the surface of a garden (don't want to bury them until they've dried out for another year or two). will take me a few more days to get all of those done. not sure the weather is going to cooperate much more for me to be outside this week. we'll see.

plugging up groundhog den.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

After a warmer than usual winter (but nothing record-setting), we have typical April weather down here. Lows around 60-ish; highs around

  1. Clear with little to no rain. Spring is a dry season here. The gardening year continues with the October "little marvel" peas heading to compost today but the February "Thomas Laxton" peas are covered with blossoms; no peas, yet. I'm thinking they'll benefit from shading from at least afternoon sun, as does the spinach?a variety called "Tyee", which is doing well in the warm weather but must be shaded from direct sun. This is my second season of planting this cultivar and it produces well in the variable wintertime temperatures down here. The now defunct peas share a bed with turnips which are at the "must harvest" point. They'll be blooming soon, if mildew doesn't cover them first. I have some really late mustards and turnips started. If grown rapidly, they usually usually yield a few croppings before blooming. The "provider" bush snap-beans were planted far too early in February and sort of marked time due to the chilly nights but now that the weather seems sure-enough to be warming, they're finally perking up a bit. Today's gardening project is one of preparing a bed to receive seeds of either "white acre" or "zipper cream" cowpeas. I intend to grow both; just not sure where yet. Have seeds in for sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplants, tomatoes. Picked up more paper cups for okra seeds. I usually plant okra directly into its beds but this year's different: The okra's eventual homes are occupied by other plants that will limit okra seedlings' exposure to sun. Spent a little time today rehabbing the ginger bed. I'd thought it all dead after an extremely dry summer followed by a few prolonged lows in the high 20's. At any rate, DW discovered green buds so I spent a little time removing chaff and redistributing the sprouting pieces.
Reply to
derald

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote: ...

i sure haven't seen much rain heading your ways recently...

we've still been well below average here. overnight temperatures still hitting the teens.

fresh peas...

i'm not sure i will see any turnip blooms early this season. the two biggest areas where i have them wandering around were upended or are being upended and so no over-wintered turnips anyplace. diakon radishes may have to substitute. those sure are monsters if left go. :)

the earliest spring flowers here are usually crocuses and some small bulb irises which often bloom through snow or very cold weather. they don't seem to mind being repeatedly frozen, but i'm not sure how they manage it, flower blossom petals don't strike me as very durable, but they've persisted for a week or two now.

no gardening projects here today other than walking outside to check traps and the den plugs. last time i headed off new attempt by groundhog to make it back to their den i sliced my hand on a sharp piece of concrete/rock and so that is going to need another day or two of healing before i can try to chop more vines up. it doesn't matter, snowing and rain, windy, cold, etc. i think next week we'll maybe see towards

50F. if the forecast is right.

i don't have any recall of the okra root ball of the one time i grew it here - i know it was in a very tough location and so would likely not have been an accurate indication anyways. how long can they be happy in a container that small before needing to be transplanted?

*mmm* fresh ginger... :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

From the weather reports, it looks like last night was our last below-freezing night. My wife pulled up the garden cloth that covers the paths between the rows in the back quarter of the garden this morning and I tilled it up for her.

Lots of seeding trays in the greenhouse and cold frames, plus lots of healthy vegetables in her auxiliary greenhouses, the clear boxes I built to extend the growing season in the garden.

I'll be planting the wild rice seed later this week, carefully following the directions that came with the seed packets. I've tried growing them several times before without success.

Paul North-east of Baltimore

Reply to
Pavel314

still freezing overnight here. had icicles on the eves this morning, nice and sunny now with no wind so we may be able to get out for a walk today. storms in the forecast the coming week. maybe it will all go north of us instead of south of us for a change. we'll see...

mostly playing with some computer programs the past few days and once in a while patrolling for critters to keep them from having an easy go of things.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Well, a stalled front finally got a move on and today it's raining "like it used to", down here. Surprisingly, I remembered to bring in some container plants that won't take wind or much rain as well as the recently planted seed cups. Notice some of the tomatoes and some of the eggplants have sprouted but didn't count or ascertain varieties (yet).

Reply to
derald

Pavel314 wrote: ...

mm, smell of fresh dirt... :)

all would be very frozen here. it's been rather rediculous compared to normal (whatever that may be), but i'm sure i'll get over it.

good luck! :)

if the wild rice spreads by stolons you may wish to have a good border around it if our past experience is any thing to go by. it sent runners out many-many feet travelling along barriers, under black plastic, etc. very hard to control until i ripped everything up and tracked all the roots/stolons/runners and got them out of there.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

reezing night. My wife pulled up the garden cloth that covers the paths bet ween the rows in the back quarter of the garden this morning and I tilled i t up for her.

ealthy vegetables in her auxiliary greenhouses, the clear boxes I built to extend the growing season in the garden.

g the directions that came with the seed packets. I've tried growing them s everal times before without success.

I dug two rice paddies into the hill on the side of the pond. The walls are lined with plastic cloth to slow any leakage and the whole thing is surrou nded by a woven-wire fence. If anything creeps out beyond the fence, the sh eep will eat it before it gets very far.

We have a small creek on the north end of the property; I'm thinking of pla nting a few seeds in the slow eddies just to see what happens.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Yep. The English peas are bigger; the Provider beans have beans on them; the peas ;-) have sprouted, although, emergence has been staggered over a couple of days because the recent heavy rains compacted the bed. Emergence is about 80% so I'll probably fill-in in another day or so.

Yep. It has fronds, or whatever those green aerial shoots are, too.

Reply to
derald

Pavel314 wrote: ...

oh, yeah, sheep will keep it down. :)

if the grasses already along there are holding the banks in place you may not want a taller grass shading them out. we've had the large drainage ditch out back shifting because we made the mistake of shading out some grasses and it is not a good thing to be having to deal with... i'm going to need hip waders and a nice dry summer to put large chunks of dirt and grasses back along the closer bank. too bad it didn't shift the other direction. i wouldn't have minded that as much. but of course, with the grass gone along that bank the water flows easier/faster and takes it out even more. lesson learned.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

*cheers!* hope the late frosts don't getcha! :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

  Me too ! Our usual last frost is around the 15th of April , and only once have I had a problem planting this early - 2 or was it 3 years ago I planted on the 15th and it frosted that night . Nearly lost it all ... so now I watch the forecast more closely . I figger it'll be towards mid-week before I actually get started setting plants out , still gotta harden them off a bit more .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Beans, too. Been picking the English peas for a day or so and the snap beans are at, "Maybe tomorrow". Time to plant more beans as well as peas. I only have two beds that I'm willing to give to legumes this late in the season, although the present "provider" beans may finish up early enough to warrant a follow-up planting. Aside from that possibility, no more beans 'til October, maybe September and, for sure, no English peas before October or November.

Reply to
derald

besides you need the space for okra... :)

i'm wiped out, long day outside for a few hours. after being such a wimp all winter. moving large rocks and digging a little. looks like it will be a busy weekend of similar as much as i can get done.

sleepy time...

songbird

Reply to
songbird