Then they came for E-cigarettes..

The absolute classic misuse of EU regulatory powers under the guidance of if big corporates (pharmaceuticals in this case, who make things like nicotine gum) to stamp out a competitive product that puts profits at risk.

"You could be forgiving for thinking that the TPD/TRPR was designed to make vaping as difficult as possible, without actually banning it outright. Last year Public Health England backed the availability of e-cigarettes on the NHS, yet millions have given up tobacco already via an unregulated consumer product. The EU?s TPD is a sophisticated Denial of Service attack on that consumer market.

"Every part of the e-cig supply chain is affected in some way. New liquids and hardware now require a six-month approval period, and approval costs. The maximum tank size is a measly 2ml, less than half of the typical tank size today of 5ml. The maximum nicotine concentration in a liquid is 20mg/ml ? short of the 24mg/ml smokers look for when they start to vape. Users of high voltage (?sub ohm?) vaping hardware won?t be effected by the latter, as they use very low nicotine concentration liquids ? but the former will present a major inconvenience, as they get through a lot more liquid. And they?ll be carrying more bottles ? since the maximum capacity of a refill container size is set to 10ml. So quite perversely for a ?health? measure, a lot more people will be carrying around more containers of toxic liquid with them as a consequence. (And you thought the Cookie Directive was stupid and pointless.)

"The restrictions on promotion will also have some perverse consequences. Since ?promotion? of the products is now illegal, bloggers and YouTube vloggers have been advised not to enthuse too much about the kit they review ? and to be on the safe side, not mention the price. The regulations are nicely translated to plain English here.

The Natural Philosopher

Yeah, they'll do that alright. The EU also banned the importation of Turkish cigarettes back in 1996 for essentially the same reason. This left smokers with the sole 'choice' of vile smelling, carcinogenic Virginia tobacco. They're no better than a bunch of crooked gangsters.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And nothing whatsoever to do with the makers of cigarettes? Or is it just you'd not like to be seen defending them?

[snip]

Pray tell, Turnip, do you vape?

18 mg/ml is regarded as strong by most. And is the highest strength commonly available.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

I gave up around 21 months ago, swapping without any problems to E-ciggies...

Not the usual style, but something a bit more up market and capable. I use 16/18mg around 1 mL per day in a 2mL tank, so the only part which directly might affect me is the limit on bottle size.

10mL would last me around 10 days, but I prefer to buy it in 50mL which is much cheaper. I do feel in is just palin daft for people to be restricted in their free choice in this way.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's the sort of useless regulation that Our Dave and Nightjar claim doesn't exist. Along with Glyphosate and GM crops.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't knowshould they not go for alcohol as well then? The problem as America discovered with trying to stop people doing anything, is that they then start to use unregulated ways to obtain the supply.

This is why I personally feel that all drugs being banned or hyper regulated is counter productive.

Not that I want to use any of them, but today, with what we know about how addiction works we should be able to come up with socially acceptable drugs that do not have addictive problems or health damage over time. After all there are enough bona fide medications which cause damage while curing something else and they are legal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

All pleasure causing drugs are bound to be addictive due to the srtucture of the brain.

Reply to
harry