Recommendations for laser measurer requested

I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Sounds like the usual Bosch green vs blue rule.

I have the Bosch DLE40, bought second-hand, find it gives accurate, repeatable measurements.

I've only used length measurement, never the area or volume features, the summing feature has been vaguely handy once or twice (e.g measuring total coving required round an irregular room).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Pun unintended Andy? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Heh, not before coffee.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is listed on Amazon as a Bosch DLE 40 Professional Laser Rangefinder. Whereas the Bosch *GLM* 40 is described as a Digital Laser Measure, which is I believe what I need. What's the difference between rangefinder and measure?

MM

Reply to
MM

Dunno why Amazon call it a rangefinder, but Bosch call it a measure.

It uses a spot beam so you can see what you're measuring and I've seen a teardown of it that demonstrates that it uses phase modulation of the reflected beam to do the measuring.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I asked a similar question recently. And ended up with the GLM 50 C. Much more expensive. But it includes an inclinometer, has better range, and links via Bluetooth to an Android or IOS device. Despite starting out with the same basic requirement as you.

Bought from Campbell Miller Tools Ltd in Glasgow (who have a shop front on Amazon but were a touch cheaper directly).

My decision was based on many factors, not least the relatively poor reviews of many of the cheaper devices. (Lots of the reviews of the very cheap end products admit they were written after being supplied with free product. And I suspect many more are not quite what they claim to be.) Also realised that a second-hand PLR 15 isn't going to be worth anything - so got a more up-range model and there is an outside possibility of selling it on when my main project is complete.

Have not yet started the project I bought it for, so have only played around with it so far. Seems to work well. That laser is *** bright ***!

Reply to
polygonum

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to fork out £200 for it though.

Reply to
John Rumm

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

Reply to
DJC

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.

Reply to
newshound

But is that Leica any better than my Bosch GLM 50 C? I already have a level function in that (albeit not the full facilities available in some levels).

Reply to
polygonum

Only £86.79 actually, including free delivery. I must say, this product really seems the business. It's more expensive than other distance measures, but one mark of quality, for me, is: how quickly can I locate the User Guide and how detailed is it? Well, I found the UG for this instantly and it is written in good English and very detailed. Sounds like a company that wants to provide good service and not just take your money.

NB: Yesterday in B&Q I saw that they were selling the Bosch PLR 15 for... wait for it! £50!! B&Q have the nerve to charge one penny MORE than the RRP!

MM

Reply to
MM

Stanley do some nice ones at modest prices - with crosshair lines, self levelling and lockable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

More decisions! How good is the tilt measurement I wonder. My existing one is not self-levelling, but it has a rotating head so that you get a

360 degree line. I can't help feeling that this is more useful than the ones which just project a line or cross.
Reply to
newshound

That's not bad, they have come down a bit since I last bought any then ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I finally decided to buy the "Excelvan Newest Handheld Laser Distance Meter with Bubble Level Rangefinder" for £23.99 inc. free delivery from Amazon.

I tried to pretend to myself that an expensive product would last forever, but then I had to admit (to myself) that I won't be using such a tool more than a few times in total, i.e. garden shed perhaps. Carpets or other flooring. So I ~almost~ forked out 80-odd quid for the Leica D2, but sanity prevailed.

And if this Excelvan thingy does break in a short time, no biggie at £24.

MM

Reply to
MM

I suspect you want more than the GLM 50 C can give you.

Reply to
polygonum

For those who would find it adequate, Lidl are offering this:

PARKSIDE Cross Line Laser £19.99* each

Projects rectangular orientation lines, with selflevelling and adjustable angle functions Automatic blinking signals when initial angle changes by 4° Compact housing with ¼? tripod receptor and removable 360° universal clamp Includes batteries and instructions for use ***Specifications box Max. working range (m): 7 Projection modes: self-levelling/pendulum fixing Self-levelling range: ± 4° Levelling accuracy (mm/m): ± 0.8

As of 30th May.

Reply to
polygonum

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy. It displays the previous three measurements along with the current measurement. It has a nifty wrist lanyard, and the unit sits very comfortably in the hand. I verified several measurements (room length/width) with a tape measure and it's pretty accurate. Certainly accurate enough for estimating how much carpet or wooden flooring one needs to budget for. The instructions, in reasonable English, are adequate, but brief. However, I'm not interested in all the Pythagoras stuff it can do. I just wanted an easy to use, cheap laser measure. There is a tiny spirit level built into the side, and I can only suppose this is for keeping the unit absolutely level for consistent results. There's a button for setting the reference point, either front or rear (default). All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase.

MM

Reply to
MM