Small laser printer replacement - recommendations?

Hi all
I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.
The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?
The great things about the 2010 are that (a) it generally works without fuss (b) it's fast (c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for the occasional colour print).
? Cheers John
On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-m102w-laser-printer-for-5499-delivered-possibly-499-after-50-cashback-from-hp-2843661
Printer costs £60. There's a £5 off voucher. 11% Quidco. So, the net cost is around £50. HP are giving £50 cashback on this particular model of printer. So, it's effectively free.
https://h41201.www4.hp.com/WMCF.Web/uk/en/promotion/13034/Details/
Treat yourself. Buy two! (The voucher only works once, so the second one costs you £5.)
GB wrote:

I did stand in PC World prodding various small lasers, and that one was my second choice to the Samsung, the HP had an actual paper tray rather than "slot" loading IIRC and larger toner, but it's a winprinter rather than PCL.
Yes my old hp is doing very well, and as long as you do not buy the toner from hp, you will be quids in as every cart has effectively a new drum as well, so its just a bit of a clean now and again really. It seems to me most modern printers though are wireless with grotty screens with menus, hence I'll hang on to my good old usb only bog standard switch on and go for as long as I can. Brian
--
----- -

Another John wrote:

I do very little printing at home, so didn't want a big* laser that ate half my desk space, I decided I could live without colour, so got a Samsung M2026W. No hassle at all, light enough to live on the top shelf and be easy to lift down when needed, wifi so only needs a kettle lead.
[*] actually I do have a colour/postscript/duplex/ethernet/multi-bin monster that takes ages to warm up, but it's tucked away.
On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:

I just had to replace my aging Laserjet 2200dn, and in the end went for a Laserjet pro M402dne
I wanted duplex and network connection. Proper PCL and Postscript print engine etc.
It seems to do the job very nicely - fast to warm up and print first page (under 7 secs) 30+ ppm, and a proper paper tray. Was about £167 from ebuyer (although you have just reminded me there was a cashback deal on it ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:

I don't know if you'd call it small, but I've been very happy with a "refurbished" HP1320n bought for not very much a couple of years ago - I assume they're still available. Toner cart from StinkyInk or similar costs less than £30 (I think) and lasts ages. I connected it to a wireless bridge (from TP-link) that talks to the router so everyone in the house can use it.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:42:46 +0000, bin wrote:

I still use a 24 year old LaserJet 4M+ for most work.

I'd have you publicly flogged for elder abuse if you hadn't so obviously enjoyed that the last time.
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell, Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over to inkjet.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

God alone knows why.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 29/11/2017 20:24, charles wrote:

The trouble with inkjet is that if you don't use them for a couple of weeks (such as being away on holiday), they dry out and clog the nozzles. When you want to print, you spend ages with IPA, followed by numerous head-clean cycles wasting loads of ink. Much of the time, you can't shift the clog and have to buy a vastly overpriced, new cartridge with integral head or with non-integral heads, scrap the printer. Lasers sit there 'til they are needed and just work.
Our current printer is a Samsung CLP-680ND networked, colour laser with duplexing. A bit overkill for home use, but it was cheap (£100 new and boxed) and despite the toners having officially run-out, the override has kept it running for another 14 months so far! That's in a houshold with three kids wasting paper and toner all the time. I can only presume that the "Change Toner" alarm point is calibrated for very high page per week office settings, where running out and not having replacements can be costly.
SteveW
[22 lines snipped]

s/weeks/days/
Hell, hours, sometimes. I've had three. They were all shit. I threw the Epson out of my study window.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 42nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

I'll raise you a Porthole into Southampton Docks, no chance to pour over the remains thinking " Maybe I shouldn't have done that".
G.Harman

Good man. I found it very satisfying. I bought a LJ5M on eBay for £35 about 7 years ago and it's been fine ever since, although it can be very slow. It's not unknown for it to take 15 minutes to render a page. But it Just Works.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 42nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On 30 Nov 2017 09:38:30 GMT

Heh, I got a Brother HL1430 (similar spec to the LJ5M) from Freegle, a drum and a couple of cartridges for twenty quid on eBay. It's hard to believe the hassle we used to put up with from previous inkjets (although the mono HP I was given was a lot less bad than the several Epsons we had).
On Thursday, 30 November 2017 18:13:25 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

The first inkjet I ever had was trouble from the start. It had a 1 pixel printhead that whizzed back & forth very fast, and took grey-black powder, probably carbon. First thing it did was fry the computer it plugged in to. I should have learnt then.
NT