Laser printer cartridge help.

So, what actually happens when you send a print job from your computer? Does the printer spit out blank paper, or does it sit there and do SFA.

Do the print jobs accumulate in the print queue on the computer?

Reply to
Graham.

Printer is a Samsung ML-2240, quite old. I have for the past 5 years bought compatible cartridges and refilled when required. Only changed carts when the printing got iffy. From memory I have never had one stop printing until today. It was getting low on toner so topped it up reinserted cart and it wouldnt print. I can press the button on it and it will print out the printer specs so the printer itself appears ok. So, is it likely to be the page count (cartridge chip) that is preventing it working? And if I get another cartridge is that likely to cure it by having a new chip in the cartridge.

Reply to
ss

ie has the lead fallen out or need reseating (either end)?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you updated the printer driver recently? I have an ML-1640 which has a chip page counter. I "inactivated" it by short-circuiting a couple of pins. However, Samsung evidently did a driver update which got round this. Fortunately, I heard about the update and never installed it.

It might be worth searching online to see if anyone has experienced your problem and found a way round it (that's how I found out about the chip short-circuit to reactivate my laser printer).

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Surely, if it was a page counter it would not self test or it would give you an error message. Seems daft if it actually prints ok, making one think the problem is elsewhere? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

When sending a print job it just sits there and the red light (toner 0%) stays on. All cables checked. Print jobs just accumulate in queue.

Reply to
ss

I am not aware of knowingly updating drivers. I know of the short circuiting fix but doesnt apply to this model, I would probably be reluctany to attempt that.

The page it will print off states: Toner page count/toner 6002/0% toner exhausted. Initial page count 972 Cartridge capacity: not support Dot /OPC count : not support/not support Cartridge s/n : not support Supplier: toner exhausted. Manufacturing date: not support

Reply to
ss

I wouldnt think it too difficult for manufacturers to programme it to print off you need a new cartridge from samsung and will stop you normal printing until you do.

Reply to
ss

I'd expect to see the cartridge serial number and manufacturing date even if the page count/capacity is 0%. Is the printer managing to talk to the chip? Dirty contacts, chip fallen out, dislodged?

As a workaround any options in the printer to ignore "cartridge low" messages. My HP colour laser has that and when enabled you get a considerable number of pages before shaking a cartridge doesn't cure patchy printouts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except it would be a new cartridge from HP nowadays. :-)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Ok had another mess around this morning and it appears when I now attempt to print there is no documents in the queue! I also connected the to a laptop and same result exept it states printing finished (never even started) I havent messed with anything computer wise and have only unplugged/plugged in cables and taken the cart in & out a few times.

Reply to
ss

Having googled I wemt to services and I cannot see a listing for print spooler, could this be an issue?

Reply to
ss

Ignore my last post now found print spooler and is active.

Reply to
ss

pause the queue before sending a job to print, then resume the queue. note that pausing documents is da ifferent action from pausing queue

Reply to
Andy Burns

And can be worth having a look at the contents of C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS which is where print requests go. Crap in there can cause many issues.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think you'll find it does apply:

Quite a few comments about further fixes, but if you aren't happy attempting the chip short-circuit it isn't going to help anyway (there are a few videos on YouTube showing how it is done). Might be worthwhile checking the printer OS against the list on that page to see whether or not the fix would work in any case.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I paused the queue and then tried print nothing happened. I checked sys32 `spool` and folder empty then when I send to print it has 2 documents in it. With pausing print the document does go to the queue but again cant get it to print.

Reply to
ss

Thought it worth having a look. Shame it wasn't the answer.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Mine is os version 1.29.00.83 I am assuming the last 2 digits (83) are the important nos.

..."Samsung Printer OS type that can not be reset manually:

OS number 1.01.00.82 OS number 1.01.00.83

As a last resort I would attempt to bridge it as by that stage nothing to lose. As a back up I have £50 of amazon vouchers so may just get a cheap laser, I only use for b&w text between 400-500 pages a month so ideally one that is refillable.

Reply to
ss

I will try a new cartridge if that fails then I will attempt to solder a jump wire.

ss