Printer carts.

As they say, you learn something new each day.

Epson ink jet had a severe head clog cleaning wouldn't fix. And the ink had nearly run out too, and no spares left.

Ordered up a cleaning kit and some new non original carts from Ebay. A fraction of the cost of maker's ones. Had used several before. The machine nagged about them not being makers ones. but worked well enough.

Set it to the cart changing position, and removed it to the workbench. Cleaned the heads using the cleaning kit, and installed a new set of carts.

On powering up, got carts not recognised and it would do nothing.

And of course I assumed the carts were faulty.

But then decided to Google.

Seems the software hadn't reset due to them being changed while powered down.

Cure was to remove them while powered up. Wrap in clingfilm. Power down and leave a few minutes. Power up, and refit.

Now recognised as non OEM, and working again.

And machine working well after a couple of cleaning cycles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've found the trick with Epson printers is to never let the cartridge run dry and never leave the printer with a empty (or near empy) cartridge - even for a few hours. In addition never leave the printer without running a single page using all colours for more than 3 weeks.

I use compatible cartridges for my printer and as they are cheap enough (for my usage) I consider changing the complete set when the software starts nagging that the ink levels are getting low.

For most of my black only printing I use my Brother laser printer with compatible toner cartridges for the same supplier as the ink jet cartridges.

I've been using

my compatibles for the past 5 years and found them to be OK

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. I've set an alarm to print something at least every two weeks.

Oddly it was the black which caused the main problem, and it was nowhere near empty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's been through plenty of ink cartridges, especially if it's had lots of cleaning cycles, beware of the "overflow sponge" getting full...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I print something festive from My Canon ip4300 once every year. It's 12 years old, run on original inks and reliable in starting up without me having to waste inks purging it.

Stay well away from compatible inks unless you like the faff of clearing gunge. Consider it a bit like mixing different brands and grades of motor oil, and gumming the engine.

However, the other variable is Epson. Had one of those once, before I saw better sense and bought an office laser.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Another thing to watch is that there are two types of ink-jet printers: bubblejet using heat to make vapour to eject the ink, and piezo that flicks the ink out. The ink is different for these types and may cause blockage if the wrong sort is used.

Reply to
Dave W

You might be happy paying 10 times plus more for genuine carts - I'm not. And have more than saved the cost of a new printer if needed by using compatibles.

And are you stating genuine ones can never ever clog?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, mine is 12 years old, and not an Epson.

Buy a better printer. Swings and roundabouts, razor blades and handles etc...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I've had most of the common makes over the years. Not a great deal of difference in the domestic ones, life wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had no problems with compatibles. Its leaving the printer with empty or near empty ink cartridges that is often the problem and I'll bet any money if you left an empty OEM cartridge in your printer for even a few hours you would see problems.

Reply to
alan_m

+1 The one I had most trouble with, albeit very many years ago, was with a HP where the ink cartridge comes with an inbuilt new head. Not only did I have trouble with inconsistent print quality the paper feed mechanism was also somewhat s***.
Reply to
alan_m

The inbuilt head is a good idea usually as you don't have to replace the (perhaps unreplaceable) print head if it goes wrong (or just has dried ink in it if the printer is rarely used).

Reply to
Max Demian

The changeable head variety usually have a lower print resolution so the type you purchase may depend on what you are going to use it for.

If colour or photo realistic printing isn't required a small cheap laser is probably better than a inkjet printer. However check prices of replacement toner cartridges (including after market compatibles) before purchasing as with some ink jets it may be a cheap printer but with expensive consumables. Also be aware that like ink-jets some laser printers don't come cartridges or come with a limited capacity cartridge.

A small mono HP laser approx £70 (with toner cartridge ??) and replacement toner approx £30 to £40 for 1000 text pages.

alan_m

I've just cleaned the built in heads in my Epson, using a kit from Ebay which only cost a few quid. Worked a treat. And plenty left for a few other times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought a cheap mono laser an answer. It would always print if the inkjet was blocked. A replacement cart cost almost as much as the printer. And that failed before it was used up.

I have replaced it with a middle of the range mono one, though. And that seems to be lasting quite well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

THat's a high price per page. Refill it yourself.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr