HP Officejet D145 All-in-one Printer query

A quick question - does this printer work with only the black cartridge present ?

Reason - I've effectively won one of these and my daughter needs a printer with the facilities this has, but of course it's not been used for some time and inevitably the heads will be blocked and the cartridges out of date. Both these can be solved - the heads seemingly can be cleared with hot water and the cartridges bought in, but I would rather not invest more than I have to and just buying in a black cartridge would represent the least financial outlay, hence the question.

Many thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I cant speak about that particular printer but probably if you take the coloured cartridge out it wont work but if left in probably will with a pop up of some kind saying low on coloured ink. Consider refilling yourself. I do this for an HP 1317 and can usually get around 4 cartridges worth before it starts acting up, then I buy tesco cheap cartridges and when they run out refill again. I can get approx 4 refills for under £10. Best to refill from fresh cartridges when low rather than old cartridges that have dried out. The first time you do this can be slightly messy until you know what you are doing (its easy) I can take cartridge out/refill and replace within 5 minutes, and no mess.

Try here for more info or google...

SS

Unless this is different to every HP printer that I have come across, the print head is part of the cartridge, there are no permanent printheads on the printer. This is why you never see "compatible" HP cartridges, only "remanufactured" (which translates as refilled). So every time you buy a new cartridge you get nice clean printheads.

Reply to
Tinkerer

The D series inkjets *were* different, and had seperate print heads. It is interesting how many people repeat the all-in-one mantra as I've posted this query elsewhere wording it quite clearly IMO that the heads are a different item from the cartridge.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The answer is here:

for the section about printing SomeBlackAndWhiteDocument.doc.

Reply to
Ron Lowe