(OT:)(BA:) HP 4500 All in one printer 54quid

Not sure whether this deserves a mention or not but I know there are a few here that could make use of a low volume colour inkjet printer with scan/copy/fax and ADF.
HP Shop have the HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One networked printer avail for 54quid with free next day delivery.
http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/printers/product.php?id 867A&experience=direct
This printer started out about 100quid and is still in the 69quid plus vat and delivery at the usual suspects. My guess is that this product is going end of line and they are making way for a new model.
It's definitely a lightweight, designed down to a price eg. in line power supply, no proper removable paper tray (100sheet input), only 20sheet output but it is networked and has fax and 20sheet ADF.
Note that the pic shown on the site is the model w/o ADF but the word description and CB867A part code confirms that this is the networked ADF model and I can confirm that this is the product that is delivered.
4 colour printing with 2 carts so def biassed towards low volume. 25quid a pair for copy carts so again low volume oriented but these have print heads built in per HP convention so easy to take out and clear or replace in case of blockage and I can confirm that it will work with just the black cart in place.
Note, copying is sloooow.
No affiliation, blah, blah, blah . . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

I'm almost 100% sure you could also get that printer for about 40 quid over a year ago at one of the big supermarkets.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 00:00:17 +0000, The Other Mike

45 quid at Tesco last October
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-officejet-4500-wireless-one-printer-45-tesco-instore-1036973
In article

Feel free to highlight a networked colour laser printer/copier/scanner/fax with ADF that is available for less than double that, actually triple that if ya like.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

I just bought one, a Xerox 6015n, for 118.80 including VAT & delivery. But going back to the site I find that they're not available at that price any more and I suspect I might have profited from a cock-up. :-) Now 190.80, which is still a good price.
--
Mike Barnes

Who asked you ;-)
The current 190 odd is more what I was expecting. With a full set of carts running to 125 it's more than we want to spend.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

I think they're all at it, the change to chipped carts wasn't for the customers' benefit!
I dropped colour at home a long time ago, switching to mono laser but I do miss the benefit of an all in one with adf for easy copying.
For the office, it's a mono laser for day to day, colour laser for special and an all in one colour inkjet for colour backup, adf scanning, copying and fax.
That said, for the HP, they claim the mono XL carts are good for 700 sheets with copy ones claiming to overfill giving a couple of reams of use. 12 quid or so for them (copy) gives just over a penny a sheet for mono. Obviously more for colour and non text but this is certainly not a photo printer.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Oddly enough the HP we have, an Office jet K8600 which is needed for A3 prints seems to be rather good with its fuel consumption;)..
--
Tony Sayer

The emergency need of a printer cartridge a couple of weeks ago gave me cause to pop into Staples
They had a canon printer/copier/scanner/fax on offer for 38 inc
--
geoff

NT wrote

Mine is. Its the last of the non chipped Canons, prints on CDs/DVDs etc as well as paper and photos etc. The carts never dry out, even with the very low print use I do, and the ink costs peanuts with non genuine carts.
And it cost peanuts in the end of model runout.

I refill my _original_ Cannon ink cartridges with ink from http://www.octoink.co.uk / the quality of this ink is indistinguishable from original cannon, but a fraction of the cost and it does not block or dryout in the print head. I have never bought a replacement ink cart for any printer i have ever owned. i865, ip4000, ip4000R, pro 900 mark ii
-
Mark wrote

I used to refill with the previous BJC3000 but the non genuine carts are so damned cheap and I print so little that I dont bother anymore.
So much more convenient to just snap in another cart.

I do now because they are so cheap.
On 29/02/2012 19:41, fred wrote:

As someone who's in the market for one of these devices to use exclusively as a sheet-fed scanner, when I can get round to it (see posts passim) I'd be very interested to know whether it will scan when no cartridges are in place or empty/blocked - not something the manufacturer's ever take the trouble top mention.
(I already have a cheap-as-chips laser and have no need or interest in printing from an all-in-one).
David
On 02/03/2012 07:57, Lobster wrote:

ooh and another potential deal-breaker for me which I've just found... an Amazon reviewer of this product says that when scanning documents (as opposed to photos) you can't customise the resolution so are stuck with 300dpi and 1Mb per A4 sheet! Can anyone concur?

I had intended to try it out today and feed back but have found that the user i/f isn't opening on 2 of the networked comps and on the other (our bldy file server) the HP drver was permanently hogging 65% CPU time.
The first error is known on comps with either IE7 or 8 installed (so a few then) and a critical update is required to fix it. Installed it and still no joy.
The second also gets mentions on the net but no solution other than just disabling the monitor service (thus disabling all scanning).
I will probably look again at this on Monday and if you haven't been completely scared off yet and want the feedback I will update in the evening.
Truly sorry for wasting peoples' time mentioning this steaming pile of shit! I really had expected better from HP but I'm guessing we now know why it is being canned.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .