Door Closers

People keep leaving my front door a bit open, wasting pounds of heat... Are automatic door closers a good idea?

Wickes have Adjustable Spring Door Closer

its internal, wouldnt cope with a gale... maybe
experiences, positive or negative please?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

bit cheaper, I put one on the office kitchen door 5 months ago and it works.

version and it's a strong spring.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

George,

Not quite answering your question.

Have a look at the Perko door closers. These are easy to fit and also very discrete in that the closer is 'hidden' when the door is closed - and they work.

These can usually be found on fire-check doors.

Reply to
Unbeliever

The spring closers are a PITA - they just slam the door shut, even though they claim to be adjustable. Also, you have to overcome the spring force to open the door.

The latter type are good. You have two adjustments, one to close the door up to 15 degrees, and another to 'latch' the door.

I've used these a few times

The Medway Handyman

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in news:ij9gr8$5s9$1 @news.enta.net:

Steer clear of the 'Adjustable Spring Door Closer' type (Gibralter Closer) and the 'Perko' type closer as these would not normaly close a heavy door properly unless door left to slam from fully open.

Best go for the overhead type as these can be adjusted to close properly when sitting on the latch (and are uklikely to chop off fingers) with a quiet click.

Heliotrope Smith

We have a type of door closer that is built into the hinges on one door and they work really well. They look like these

and we like them because once fitted they look just like slightly large normal brass hinges.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I have a Briton 1004 on my porch door and that has been working reliably for the past dozen years or so. As others have said, it closes the door most of the way quickly, then slows and closes it firmly. The 1004 is no longer listed, but the 1100 would be the current equivalent,

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You don't need a fire rated one on a front door, and a non- fire rated one was about 1/3rd of that price last time I bought one.

One problem with these is you can't push the door shut faster than the damper allows. You can get ones with a 3-part linkage which allow the door to be pushed closed quickly (expensive because rare). In theory you could replace the second part of the link with something flexible (such as a chain), but that requires inverted (transorm mounted, rather than door mounted) closer, and I can't imagine how that could work with front door which opens inwards - you'd end up with the closer outside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Medway Handyman saying something like:

block of council flats - still work fine and very good quality.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I put one on the kitchen door. After a few days I found the wife had wedged the door in the open position. No amount of teliing did any good so I took it off again as a bad job. Its taking care of the workshop door now where it feels appreciated.

Reply to
cynic

We fitted a dorplan Door Closer (40101BCDA) on an outward opening back door per Fig 61 (Push Side Transom Fixing). uPVC door so wasn't sure the std bolts tapping into the plastic would hold, but so far so good.

Stops the wind slamming it open/closed, closes automatically, will hold open or you can push it closed and kid proof ;-) Well worth it.

Reply to
timjh0