Laser printer cartridge

My brother laser printer stopped working claiming the black cartridge was empty/done.

t wasn't that old. There was no warning. Given these things have chips that control things, has anyone heard of a way to reset them?

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

At work we used to shake them from side to side to redistribute the graphite but this may not apply in your situation.

Reply to
Scott

Check on the internet for resetting that particular model. The cartridge may not be empty - the page-counter assumes a certain usage of toner per page, and when you reach the presumed page count it will assume the cartridge is empty and prevent further use until the cartridge is replaced.

With my Samsung, I had to solder a short across a couple of pins of the page-counter chip. However, if I had installed a software update for that printer beforehand, that "fix" wouldn't have worked, as Samsung's software update made it ineffective. I just refill the cartridge from time-to-time with toner from an old, but unused, Brother printer cartridge.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It is possible to reset the counter on some brother printers. Google was my friend for resetting mine.

Reply to
John

Need to know the printer model.

My DELL 1250c has a disable the cartridge warnings function. And, it is documented - albeit hedged about with lots of warnings about what'll happen if you select it! I was told that it was down to the EU.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

If it's the first cartridge change it may be because it's a starter cartridge, supplied with the printer to print a smaller number of pages than a replacement cartridge.

Reply to
wasbit

I would agree with this. It certainly used to be common practice for the supplied toner/jet ink cartridge to have a smaller quantity of ink than replacements.

Having said that, our colour laser (also Brother) seems to be lasting well on its first cartridge.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Brother are generally the best about allowing you to reset / use aftermarket cartridges without messing about with chips. Some of them have plastic 'reset wheels' which can be purchased for a few quid. But a few of the newer ones now have chips.

We really need the model number to make any further progress here.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well that's easy: DCP-L3510CDW

Reply to
pinnerite

My HP laser measures the amount of toner it spits out onto the page and is amazingly accurate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Terrible video, but makes more sense once you've read the above:
video, for the slightly different model so the layout is a bit different, but same process:

Theo

It's probably a starter cartridge - the one that came with my HL-L2350DW only lasted for just over 300 pages, and it is almost certainly empty. Buy a new compatible high capacity cartridge - Brother printers will work just fine with them, and they are cheaper per page than any inkjet.

My current cartridge has printed >650 pages and is 80% used according to the status page (mine's on the wifi - point a web browser at the printer IP address, and look under "Maintenance Information").

Reply to
John Kenyon

Often if itsanything like my hp, if you do do that, the printing is very patchy I'm told, onesupposes the toner comes out in dribs and draps after a certain point. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for that.

I have a replacement now but I will keep the old one to experiment on.

Reply to
pinnerite