Compact colour laser?

Hi all,
I'm possibly looking out for a compact colour laser printer and have some requirements (sort of in order of importance).
1) Reasonably compact, height being the least important.
2) No 'sticky out' paper input or output trays or guides (to get kicked off, as the printer will be on the bottom shelf of one of those metal PC workstations).
3) Networkable (WiFi at least).
4) Reliable.
5) Reasonably cheap replacement carts.
'Cherries on the cake' would be auto duplex printing and Air / Android print.
And all of that at the least possible TCO of course and recommendations ideally from personal experience.
Cheers, T i m
p.s. They got a tiny HP B/W laser and a separate HP scanner because the all-in-one lasers are often pretty big or have sticky out paper trays (and you have all yer eggs in one basket etc).
p.p.s. I didn't need to mention that they will be primarily printing from Windows (as every, even GDI printers support that) but they also have the option of Linux (dual boot) and so support for that could be handy in an emergency etc.
T i m wrote:

I wanted a small laser last year and got one of the B&W Samsung M2026, which is small enough to lift onto the top shelf when not required and fetch down to the desk when required.
I noticed pcworld had the Samsung C430W colour laser for under £100 last week and was nearly tempted to buy one, it's not too much bigger than the mono one (mainly taller due to having an internal paper tray rather than sticky-out paper shelf) but I dithered and now the price is back to £130.
I do have a gigantic Epson duplex, postscript, dual bin, networked laser but it really doesn't deserve the space it (and the consumables I have for it) eats in the back bedroom.
Samsung printers are HP now.
<snip> >I wanted a small laser last year and got one of the B&W Samsung M2026,

Same with their current HP M15W Mono WiFi Laser. 'Worlds smallest' it says on the box and it is tiny (before you put all it's flaps down). ;-)

That's still not unreasonable and doesn't look like it has any sticky out flaps. ;-) Any idea if you can refill or get aftermarket toner for it cheaply please (compared to any similar models I mean) and if so, do you OOI?

I'm in a similar position with a Ricoh SP C252SF but it's a good workhorse. ;-)

Oh, interesting, thanks.
A mate used to supply big printers and copiers and many of the machines came with several badges to choose from for the installer to apply to the customers preference. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 02/02/2019 11:48, Andy Burns wrote:

Love my HP laserjet M252n
wasnt too expensicve. On its second set of cartrdges now
--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned
On Saturday, 2 February 2019 11:48:34 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

last

I have the Samsung, with which I am satisfied. It seems to meet your requi rements: wi-fi, etc.,Third-party carts work fine, and , including the rear plugs, measures 400 mm front-to-back.
Mr Fuxit wrote:

I hadn't realised the paper tray (when loaded with paper) sticks out the front ...
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 10:09:54 -0800 (PST), Mr Fuxit

But doesn't that have a sticky out paper tray and a output tray flippy flap?
Cheers, T i m
On 02/02/2019 11:24, T i m wrote:

I've been happy with my Lexmark CS410dn. Taller than modern mono ones, but full duplex and wifi.
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 13:15:12 +0000, newshound

Thanks for that.
The last Lexmark I dealt with was one of those 'ink on a roll of cling film ones. Brilliant prints but about £1 / page then! ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 02/02/2019 19:46, T i m wrote:

I have a Canon Selphy that does "postcards" by dye sublimation. These days more often than not I'll run off an A4 print on the Lexmark and laminate it if I want to give someone a picture.
On 02/02/2019 11:24, T i m wrote:

I have had a Dell dell c1760nw for a few years.
--
Michael Chare

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 15:47:34 +0000, Michael Chare
Yeah, mate had a big Dell in his PC shop and apart from even copy carts being a fortune, it did seem to go on and on. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

After asking similar questions, I ended up with a Brother HL-L8260CDW which does all of your requirements and is currently on £100 cashback, making it £83.94. https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/brother-hl-l8260cdw/139150
Colour quality isn't amazing, but is good enough - I'm not printing photos.
The best bit is it doesn't have toner reset chips, so you just need a bit of plastic ('toner reset wheel') to refill the toner carts: https://www.urefilltoner.co.uk/how-to-refill/brother/HL-L8260cdw_HL-L8360cdw_DCP-L8410cdw.html
I haven't run out of toner yet, but I'm going to try and 3D print one when I do. Also, being unchipped, there are cheap third party cartridges so you don't even need the reset wheel.
Theo
On 02 Feb 2019 18:45:47 +0000 (GMT), Theo

Ooo, nice price.

That would be the need / expectation here also.

And that covers my TCO question. You can get free printers as long as you buy plenty of toner carts (eg Morgan Computers).

Interesting (as I have a 3d printer). ;-)

Excellent. I think that sounds like it ticks all the boxes Theo, the only slight issue is the depth. The space we have from the front of the bottom shelf to the wall is 400mm and according to the spec, the printer is 486. If the printer uses a rear mounted but not recessed IEC plug then that can add a few more mm (less if you can get away with a right angled version) but we should be able to pull the workstation away from the wall slightly, if it looks like it's overhanging a bit too much. Or put the printer up on a bit of a plinth so your feet can go underneath if sitting in front of it. It think something like that would be worth looking into, should it be an issue, because of all the other plusses.
But better that than a flimsy paper tray sticking out waiting to get snapped off. ;-(
Cheers, T i m

The cashback paid up pretty rapidly after I submitted the claim. (and none of this 'must claim between 73 and 74 days after purchase' stuff that you sometimes get - you can submit the claim as soon as you receive the printer, within 28 days)

Since the last time I looked this has come on the market: https://www.inkowl.com/laser/color-refill-kit/brother/flag-gear-kit-for-brother-hl-l8260cdw-hl-l8360cdw-hl-l8360cdwt-mfc-l8610cdw-mfc-l8690cdw-mfc-l8900cdw-starter/P10787/
- claims it's for the TN-431 cart (North America), not the TN-421 (Europe). Turns out region locking of printers is a thing, but I'm tempted to buy one if nothing else has turned up when I start getting low.
(and suffer the $13 postage across the pond, still way cheaper than an official cart)

I'm a bit dubious of: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HaloFox-4-Pieces-TN421-TN423-Toner-Cartridges-TN-421BK-TN-421C-TN-421M-TN-421Y/283343341545 but only because it's *so* cheap.

The IEC is rear mounted (bottom right corner seen from the front), but there's a 9mm recess. I measure 27mm from the end of the IEC connector when inserted to the flat of the back panel, so add onto that whatever your right angle version does.
You'll need access to the rear for paper jams, but if it's on a trolley you can pull it forward temporarily, or just the printer. (I've only ever had jams when I've left something on top of it and the duplexer has tried to fire paper into a solid object)

Indeed. It's a fairly substantial lump :)
Theo
On 02 Feb 2019 20:44:11 +0000 (GMT), Theo

They offer a 'Contact us' if it turns out you have time?

Quite (and if I get a printer, of the postage is the same on two kits and you want to split the postage ... )?

Agreed ... but unless it's just a typo they have a 100% positive feedback ...

Excellent, thanks. Can you see any reason a right angled plug wouldn't work with that recess Theo?
eg. eBay item 191013008879, 3rd picture. I'm not sure if it would matter about the 'hand' of the plug?

Check.

Doh. ;-)

Yes, it looks it ... and is the same weight as my 60Ah semi traction leisure battery or a 2.5hp 4/ Mariner outboard motor. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

I'll do that when the time comes - don't want to waste their time if I'm not looking to buy. I was hoping they would show up on Aliexpress for $4 for 10 delivered :)
(Currently done 500 sheets and showing 80% of the starter cartridges remaining)

Sounds like a plan :)

The earth pin is nearest the side, so that one would have the cable pointing up. Which may or may not be a problem, depending. The recess is from the plug downwards.
Something like this would probably do it: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/173722798726
(should say, I didn't pay attention to their supplied cable so I don't know if they already supplied something suitable).
Theo
On 02 Feb 2019 22:23:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo

Understood.

And they may well. ;-)

If that 80% is even close that's pretty good.

I think that would be my preferred solution, as you say, 'depending'. That way the cable wouldn't get trapped against any surface the printer sits on or get's accidentally caught / unplugged if the printer is slid (rather than lifted) forward etc.

So it may depend how the recess on the printer and the shoulder on the plug tessellate. ;-)

Ok (thanks), so given this printer will probably be raised slightly, the cable pointing downwards shouldn't be an issue, even if the inlet is quite near the bottom.

I quite like installing new printers for people as you often get an extra lead with a non UK plug on it that they generally throw away. I have a box of UK plugs ... ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 02 Feb 2019 22:23:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo

They didn't, just a std straight socket.
Wouldn't connect to the WiFi using WPS (but nor would the HLPJ), nor using the screen / manually but *luckily* using the Windows only (for the Linux users out there <g>) setup software (as did the HPLJ).
After that, it was all pretty straightforward and we did test prints from the W7 PC, W7 laptop and the Android phones.
I will get one of the 90 Deg sockets and will make a small plinth to stand it on so it sits evenly on all it's feet (a bit of MDF on a couple of battens).
Now to do the cashback? ;-)
Cheers, T i m
Theo wrote:

The Lexmark CS317dn is chipped, but only costs £58+VAT so assuming you get the stated 750 colour pages plus maybe an additional 500 black-only pages out of the starter toners, it's cheaper to buy a new printer, than fork out £266+VAT for a set of full-size toners that would yield 2300 colour pages plus 3000 black-only pages
I know you can't simply add the black pages and colour pages, but even if you assume you only get 500 black pages on top of the colour ones, it still works out 30% cheaper to junk the printer than buy refills ... madness.