Compact colour laser?

Even for the sighted, swipe gestures aren't great on tiny touch screens, I prefer to access the printers via a web browser (provided the networking is working, obviously).

Reply to
Andy Burns
<snip>

Understood.

And they may well. ;-)

If that 80% is even close that's pretty good.

I think that would be my preferred solution, as you say, 'depending'. That way the cable wouldn't get trapped against any surface the printer sits on or get's accidentally caught / unplugged if the printer is slid (rather than lifted) forward etc.

So it may depend how the recess on the printer and the shoulder on the plug tessellate. ;-)

Ok (thanks), so given this printer will probably be raised slightly, the cable pointing downwards shouldn't be an issue, even if the inlet is quite near the bottom.

I quite like installing new printers for people as you often get an extra lead with a non UK plug on it that they generally throw away. I have a box of UK plugs ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Brilliant! (Not). But I guess they would be less susceptible to the boundary layer issue?

OK thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

+1

That also generally means you can do so from any OS, rather than use the Windows only 'setup' program they often supply (unless, as with the little Mono HP I installed the other day that wouldn't connect to the Lan using the WPS buttons, I still had to use the Windows setup over USB). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You do have to account for the space occupied by hoarding. In a raw economic calculation, the box might be 1m3, and the rental cost of

1m2 of floor area is...?

Obviously it's not quite like that, but it isn't just the sticker price to consider.

I also suspect the initial price would be higher if Lexmark had to pay the full cost of recycling back to raw materials (rather than say setting fire to the thing and calling it 'energy recovery')

I think this is a good example of 'then buy another printer that doesn't do that'.

Tempered slightly by the 'buy a new printer every month' approach means you always have the latest model - although the world of printers doesn't move very fast.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Tempted by the idea of avoiding blocked ink jets, I have followed up a couple of the printer suggestions.

They seem to lack either a copier function or any facility to scan.

Sadly my family also expect high street print shop quality of the colour snaps they send me.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They sell "beats as it sweeps as it cleans" models too

Andy Burns

I have the Samsung, with which I am satisfied. It seems to meet your requirements: wi-fi, etc.,Third-party carts work fine, and , including the rear plugs, measures 400 mm front-to-back.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I hadn't realised the paper tray (when loaded with paper) sticks out the front ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you scroll down to check the price of replacement bits!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Same as we were discussing earlier, the razor blades pricing model, cheaper to never buy spares, just replace it (slightly less so for the scan+fax version)

Reply to
Andy Burns

But doesn't that have a sticky out paper tray and a output tray flippy flap?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T'other Tim asked for a compact printer - generally the copy/scan ones aren't compact.

For the Brother, the DCP-L8410CDW and MFC-L8690CDW which are currently on cashback also copy/scan. They're the same print engine so take the same toner carts (and for them I think there's a reset menu so you don't need reset wheels)

I'm not sure any cheap laser is going to give photo shop quality...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Exactly ... and I already have 3 so could have offered one of those, had they not all been too big or unsuitable in other ways (kick-offable paper trays etc).

It's the same sort of accident-waiting-to-happen as a glass of cola near a laptop or low front mounted USB ports on a floor mounted PC (as I know by the number I've had to do micro-surgery on to recover someone's A level or Uni work). ;-(

The main paper guide on the ink-jet the laser is to replace also suffered the same fate, and has it been mentioned at the time, I could probably have repaired it, it would have been used and the print head wouldn't have dried up ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I now run with an old fashioned single bladed safety razor. I don?t cut myself any more than I used to

Blades last ages and are cheap.

I buy non original toner cartridges drums and fuser assemblies for my HP laserJet.

They are pretty cheap. £35 a cartridge give or take. If you want best colour you need to play with the internal settings. Sometimes the colour

- magenta esp. isn?t quite as good as HP so deep purples are hard to do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there such a beast as a "compact" colour laser?

My own criteria was refillable cartridges. Based on the Mono Kyocera I bought for work use which although cartridges can be re-filled I haven't bothered as non OEM ones are really cheap... I bought a Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn colour. Yes it's fairly big but it sits on the floor under my computer desk without any problem It's 3 colour + black cartridges can be replaced independently and are very well priced. Paper tray slides in under the printer and printed paper collects on the top so no protrusions. Not sure if it is/was Wi-Fiable as I have it plugged into the LAN. It has a mass of configuration possibilities on the menu, which creates a complexity, I'm sure would make more sense if the manual was studied.

As Kyocera say "we don't make inkjet printers"

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I still think you can't beat a good old-fashioned cut-throat razor. It takes a good while to get used to them, but once you do, it's the closest shave you'll ever get. And the blades last for ever; just run it up once a week against a leather strop and bob's your uncle.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I lack the eyesight and the courage :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a Canon Selphy that does "postcards" by dye sublimation. These days more often than not I'll run off an A4 print on the Lexmark and laminate it if I want to give someone a picture.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

They didn't, just a std straight socket.

Wouldn't connect to the WiFi using WPS (but nor would the HLPJ), nor using the screen / manually but *luckily* using the Windows only (for the Linux users out there <g>) setup software (as did the HPLJ).

After that, it was all pretty straightforward and we did test prints from the W7 PC, W7 laptop and the Android phones.

I will get one of the 90 Deg sockets and will make a small plinth to stand it on so it sits evenly on all it's feet (a bit of MDF on a couple of battens).

Now to do the cashback? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m