Kenmore compact washer FRONT PANEL REMOVAL????????

Would someone out there enlighten me with this, I feel like a dumb ass, I've spent an hour trying to get the front panel off a 10 year old compact washer. I've got 3 sides off but the front won't budge. I can see the 2 slots at the bottom where you drop the panel into and then slide it sideways a half inch to lock it into place. The panel won't slide sideways and up to remove it. Beside each slot I can also see also a 1/4 inch hole which also seems to hold a 1/4 inch extension of the panel and prevents sliding sidways. Therefore, if it can't slide sideways, nor up and down, what do I do? Does it come off at all? I need to repair part of the wiring harness which lies in front at the bottom. I have a ton of experienc with these things but this one has me stumped. Any help out there? Please!

Reply to
BUGSEY

buffalobill

Hi,

This does little to ID the washer since Kenmore is made by several different companies....model#??

Some model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi, here's the info, it was on the lid that I took off and stashed away, sorry not to have included it to begin with. I see that on some other makes they build em with a back panel that is meant to swing away to provide access but appears to possibly not be removable. For now I may drill thru the two holes adjacent the slots to make it possible to slide the front panel sideways but this may affect the integrity of the thing. I can't believe that this front panel is not removable in a non destructive way. Model no:2070091 Serial no.cb3601814 Kenmore Compact washer, made in canada, 24" wide. Once again, much appreciated, regards, BUGS

Reply to
BUGSEY

Sears website says there is no such model. There is usually a 3 digit number, then a decimal point, then the model number.

Reply to
Ed

Hi Ed, I sit corrected, I should have said #110.2070091. I kind of found a work around, I leaned forward the panel about 6 inches and pulled out the wire harness that had 3 severed wires from being pinched by the suspension. I would still like to know how to get that front panel off ! Any thoughts as to how these new models compare to the old belt drive ones (this one seems to be direct drive). I know that the old ones were totally reparable and the pump for example was less that $20 bucks. This Kenmore looks like a semi-disposable piece of work, I hope I'm wrong.

regards, BUGS

Reply to
BUGSEY

Still comes up empty.

This site will provide exploded views of your machine if you can get it to come up.

It sounds like a Whirlpool though. On many, but not all, of the compacts there is a screw that goes through the side panels into the front panel, the top has to be raised to see them. These need to be removed. After removing the screws you pull straight up on the panel to release it from the two retaining clips, one on each side.

The direct drive models are easy to repair and usually have a longer life than the old belt drive models. The biggest problem with the belt drive models before the switch to direct drive was tub corrosion. This was corrected with the new design by switching to a plastic outer tub.

Reply to
Ed

Hi all,

Canadian model numbers are not online for the most parts...esp dept store ones :(

A place that can likely help with some info...give them a call or email....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid