Samsung laser cartridge, ghosting

Just trying to understand this as I have a new cartridge which I can install if necessary. When I print I intermittently get faded black marks on the page, they are regular markings so obviously coming from one of the rollers, if I do nothing the page sometimes comes out clean for a 30 page run then I get some ghosting and it eventually reverts back to a clean page. I have dismantled the cartridge a couple of times, emptied what I think is a collector compartment for excess toner and cleaned all the rollers. It then prints ok for a number of pages and then goes back to ghosting (intermittently) If I do a run of printing its either all pages clean or all pages with ghosting. The ghosting is on one side only about 3cms wide. I have never had this before with a toner cartridge so hoping someone can identify what the issue is.

I am just curious as I will replace the cart if the problem becomes excessive. I am on approx 3500 pages with this cart and refilled once, I normally get around 5000 before it stops working due to the chip.

Reply to
ss

Corona wire ?

If you tell us the model number, there might be a nice manual with a picture of what to clean.

I only had to clean corona wire a couple times at work, so as a maintenance item, it doesn't come up all that often. (I'm the guy that pulls all the crumpled paper out of the printer, when nobody else could be bothered.)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Samsung ML-2240 laser printer. I have measured the ghosting image and it repeats every 38.2 mm which would be approx a roller of 12.16 diameter, all of which I have previously cleaned.

Reply to
ss

They mention the fuser unit and the transfer roller as maintenance items, but there's no diagram showing how to change out the transfer roller. It is referred to as a "black roller", so maybe it has a rubber sleeve on it ? There is no mention of a corona wire.

And the Troubleshooting chapter doesn't mention ghosting. They claim there is dirt on the paper path if "white spots appear on the print", presumably with a stimulus of an all-black page. Maybe the white spots are caused by paper fibers.

But generally speaking, the design doesn't have a lot of troubles, so no suggestions. If it was the transfer roller, you're supposed to be able to buy a new one.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I cured a similar problem in my color laser by replacing the whole (3rd party)(cyan) toner assembly and drum.

I think you need a new drum. Sometimes these rebuilt cheapos are not up to snuff.

you can get a new rebuilt cheapo for less than £20 on amazon/ebay/etc

The Natural Philosopher

It may well be a toner issue, but drums are generally a larger diameter than 12mm and sounds like a glob of toner is getting onto a roller.

It could also be a toner issue.

I would direct a lowish pressure airline into the drum assembly to try and dislodge any rubbish that might be affecting operation.

IME this is time for a new printer.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip>

This guy has done a lot of youtube vids on fixing Laser printers.

e.g.

How to fix ghost images (double printing) when using a printer

Adrian Caspersz

I have watched a few videos on the carts, apart from aiding to dismantling and cleaning the cart they still dont solve the issue. Tonight I printed 16 pages and all had slight ghosting on right hand side. Away doing some other things turn printer off, an hour or so later I print 4 postage labels and the pages are perfect (no ghosting) Its the inconsistency that I cant understand.

Reply to
ss

Over the years, I have operated the same reliable HP 4M+ printer.

I have had this exact effect on a number of occasions. In every case it was caused by a faulty toner cartridge (but remember that quite a lot of the 'works', e.g. optical drum, corona wire) are inside their cartridges. In most cases, I think they were 'old stock' cartridges. Reputable remanufactured ones work fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thats the conclusion I am coming to as I have dismantled and cleaned the cart twice. I suspect the issue is the the compartment that collects excess toner possibly leaking on to a roller. The cart is a remanufactured.

Reply to
ss

According to the service manual, the following distances for horizontal lines apply: OPC Drum 75.5mm Charge Roller 37.7mm Supply Roller 47.5mm Develop Roller 35.2mm Transfer Roller 46.2mm Hear Roller 63.9mm Pressure Roller 75.4mm

The Charge roller is nearest to your measurement. It seems to be inside the toner cartrdge. If the lines are only 3cm wide, perhaps toner is dropping onto this roller. It says typical defect for this roller is "Black spot".

Reply to
Dave W

As I said, that's what I had - a faulty cartridge. got stripes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this not what occurs if the toner starts to come out in clumps rather than evenly? I've not looked at modern lasers but this kind of thing in the old days were caused by all sorts of strange things, just like they used to be on photocopiers, whiskers growing on the platinum wires, Drum problems and uneven heating of the rollers that glues it all to the paper. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yup just like on photocopiers and getting high on ozone.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa