RIP: Sir Roger Scruton

Bwahahaha ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

Or nym shift & see how long it takes the rest to spot him....

Reply to
Jimk

Died age 75,of cancer.

?It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on intellectuals, in their attempts to control the world. And since...it is futile to reason someone out of a thing that he was not reasoned into, we can conclude that Marxism owes its remarkable power to survive every criticism to the fact that it is not a truth-directed but a power-directed system of thought.?

Sir Roger Scruton

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

That?s overstated. Its just as true of other beliefs that are not reasoned into like religion. That one is much more about crutches for pathetically inadequate minds.

Sane with royalty, it isnt really about power for the believers.

Or the greenies either.

Reply to
Ray
<snip>

"it is futile to reason someone out of a thing that he was not reasoned into"

A bit like Brexit then.

'Most people', didn't vote for us to join the EEC / EU / whatever and so have lived with it as one of those things.

So, give them the idea that something that was mostly transparent / irrelevant to them was the big bad wolf, and that things are going to get worse because of what they are intending to do or how better off we will be if we kill the big bad wolf (and mud / fud sticks), some of the great unwashed will fall for that sort of thing, pick their side and can't be reasoned into justifying their choice.

They can't in most cases because there is no 'reasoned' reason, just a load of crystal ball predictions, gullibility and 'beliefs'. ;-(

I'm not suggesting that leaving the EU might not actually be a good thing for 'most people', all I'm suggesting is that most of us who are adamant it will be have yet to convince most who haven't heard those voices in their hears or believed what has now been mostly proven to be lies and FUD in the first place.

Further complicate the facts by promising the great unwashed that they promise to act on what should have only been an advisory poll and you can pretty well wave goodbye to any level of real democracy.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

OK I'm afully sorry about that, but who was he? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

"Conservatism starts from a sentiment that all mature people can readily share: the sentiment that good things are easily destroyed, but not easily created. This is especially true of the good things that come to us as collective assets: peace, freedom, law, civility, public spirit, the security of property and family life, in all of which we depend on the cooperation of others while having no means singlehandedly to obtain it. In respect of such things, the work of destruction is quick, easy, and exhilarating; the work of creation slow, laborious, and dull. That is one of the lessons of the twentieth century. It is also one of the reasons why conservatives suffer such a disadvantage when it comes to public opinion. Their position is true but boring, that of the opponents exciting but false."

Sir Roger Scruton

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net posted

Cobblers.

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

Only up to 2016, when voters rejected the option of staying in the EU.

Reply to
Spike

Utter nonsense from Sir Roger Screwtape there.

The reason Marxism is such an enduring set of ideas is only that it provides a model and a language for describing historical changes that continues to be true and useful. For anyone who doesn't know it, in the simplest terms Marx's fundamental idea was that the primary thing that drives history on, that changes society, that creates the irresistible currents that we are all subject to and that it is vain to resist is not religion or God, not wars and armies, not great men of destiny, not ideas, not compassion, not darwinian struggle, not any of those secondary factors but economics. It's about wealth and the way that wealth is created. It's how we all see the world whether we think we are marxists or not, and stupid of TNP and a dumb second rate lecturer to imagine otherwise.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Quite. And well worth reading his book 'Sexual Desire' Gives a true insight into just how narrow minded he actually is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have just demonstrated it to be fact

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How d'you work that out? :)

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

"Cobblers" is not a reasoned response. Ergo someone using it in this context is proof of Scruton's thesis.

You are simply an example of what he was talking about.

The typical kneejerk denialism of the Left, when faced with any challenge to their worldview.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You really need to get something new to obsess about...

Reply to
John Rumm

I really wish you'd put an explicit "in place of" on that :(

Reply to
Robin

Cobblers.

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

No, T r o l l simply needs to STFU and get his VD seen to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No he has not.

There are plenty of examples of people who have accepted something and have not been reasoned into that, who have been reasoned out of it. Most obviously with those who have accepted something that their parent have instilled into them who have later been reasoned out of that,

Reply to
Ray

I'm surprised at you John, normally a beacon of reason being so much against real democracy?

But it seems like fanatically voting leave has the same impact on peoples reason as cat ownership! ;-)

But hey, you won (although that may turn out to be a strange interpretation of the word 'win') and you of all people should be able to killfile me if you really can't stand me continuing to have strong having feelings on the matter?

But this seems to be the MO fanatic brexiteers (you can see from even this sub thread how it brings all the real trolls out) ... ranting and foaming rather than just letting the 1/3rd of the electorate who voted to remain and the other 1/3rd who didn't vote at all just why they were so wrong to not vote as you / they did?

You would have thought that 3+ years on it would have all been made pretty clear by now and 100%[1] of the electorate would be behind it?

Or is it that you realise you have got away with something you really shouldn't and are frightened enough of the great unwashed will also cotton onto that?

Cheers, T i m

[1], Well, for the left brainers we know that 100% would be highly unrealistic so a more utilitarian threshold would be required.
Reply to
T i m