How to lift dried brass polish out of crevices

snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) Wrote in message:

(It's a long running uk.d-i-y joke... perhaps if you read a bit more than just the free answers to your own queries, you would understand. Oh & do calm down...)

Reply to
Jimk

Have you found one?

Reply to
Jimk

With an enormous capital P....

Reply to
Jimk

Late to the party as usual....

Reply to
Jimk

:-D

Reply to
Jimk

What will loosen decades-old dried brass polish in fine crevices (on a decorative Persian tray)?

I've heard suggestions from lemon juice and vinegar to WD-40.

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I'd start with the same solvents that Brasso contains (white spirits and ammonia)

Reply to
Andy Burns

pressure washer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and a tooth brush.

Reply to
alan_m

Well, I've no idea if this would work, but if the tray is brass alone, and not too big, put it in an oven at the highest setting for 10 minutes. That should expand the tray, though only very slightly, but enough to loosen the Brasso deposit from at least one side of the grooves. Then take the tray out and while still hot tap it upside-down on the worksurface and see if anything comes out of the grooves. If it does, repeat.You could then try brushing the hot tray with a hard brush made of natural bristles to see if that helps

Reply to
Jeff Layman

My late father was a dab hand at this sort of thing. Certainly a tooth brush, I'd be inclined just to use water with perhaps a few drops of washing up liquid. I think the purpose of ammonia and white spirit in Brasso would be to attack fatty or greasy material. You might try letting it soak.

I suspect the "abrasive" might be (or include) jeweller's rouge which is an iron oxide, and perhaps chalk. So acids may have some effect, but you really do not want to be attacking the metal.

If it is really hard to shift by hand you can get fibre brushes that fit in a Dremel. Don't use wire brushes though!

Reply to
newshound

wiki says silica (or kaolin in australia)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just in case someone stumbles upon the answer above and might be tempted to take it seriously: it's completely stupid, and I presume made as some kind of unfunny joke, if not actually maliciously.

Maybe for the person whose life contains nothing less unformed or delicate than slabs of concrete a pressure washer might seem like an appropriate answer to questions about cleaning things.

Go back under your stone where you can dwell on your favourite conspiracy theory/climate change denial/anti-vaccination obsessions; at least when you post about those it's obvious that one is reading the delusions of a ranter, rather than something that risks being mistaken for actual advice.

Pfft.

Or if it will help keep you out of trouble, find some Scruton to read; as the unthinking person's philosopher, he's probably at about your level, the "use a pressure washer" class of critical thinking.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

ultrasonic cleaning machine?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If someone had said angle grinder I suppose he might have a real grievance.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That was my thoughts but I thought ?tray? and decided it was probably going to be too big. I?ve got a ultrasonic cleaner which I use now and then but the ?pot? is only about the size of a large saucepan.

I think a (very) long soak in soapy water would be a good start, then a firm, fine, brush, and repeat.

Reply to
Brian Reay

You've accurately portrayed TNP's character. His former bluster and swagger no longer suit him as he drifts into senescence.

Reply to
Pamela

Lemon juice and/or vinegar may change the color of the brass.

I'd start with water, a soak of a few days, and see.

WD-40? Worth a try, spray on, put clingfilm over it and wait, wait, wait... decades-old sound like soaking time will be needed.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No. it is made completely seriously, because it works.

A pressure washer can, depending on the distance and the quality, push any kind of dried up gunk out of any kind of crevice: the limiting factor is the ratio of the hardness of the substrate to the hardness of the deposit you are trying to shift. In the case of uncoated metal - a brass object - this is very high.

Have you never cleaned your car with one?

I am not a climate denier or an anti vaccinator. I follow the scientific data which show clearly that vaccination works and CO2 has minimal effect on global temperature.

On the contrary, Roger Scruton clearly demonstrated that it is in fact the 'philosophy' of the left which is intellectually bankrupt posturing by pseudo intellectuals out to impress with mind numbing gobbledegook.

I see by your gammonised reactionary ad hominems that you are in denial about all these issues.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or a pressure washer. It's the same physics as ultrasonics. Or a brush. Just less problematic

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher