--
Adam

+1
On 09/12/12 18:09, Mr Pounder wrote:

+2
--
Ineptocracy

Until he sold out on the Millennium and accepted it would be 31/12/1999 instead of 31/12/2000
--
bert

One of mine, too. Sadly missed.

His last program is going out at midnight in an hour and a half
--
geoff

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 18:00:49 -0000, ARW wrote:

And the rest. On the basis that my "childhood" ended a few years before he was half way through is broadcasting career...
--
Cheers
Dave.

One of the small group of people who made me want to be a scientist.
%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

My father played chess with him. But that must be more than 50 years ago now.
--
Tim

Add me to the list ,He will be sadly missed. RIP.

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:00:49 +0000, ARW wrote:

I was saddened to learn he was also a homophobic, misogynist UKIP type http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore#Activism_and_political_beliefs (which, like Christopher Hitchens' misogyny, doesn't mean he wasn't a great guy in other ways - people aren't perfect).
--
John Stumbles

I don't want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a
On 10 Dec 2012 00:22:33 GMT, John Stumbles

He famously encouraged the young Heather Couper to become an astronomer, and it looked for a while that she might steal his mantle.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 01:32:08 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I wonder who will take over on The Sky at Night? Though I guess as The Sky at Night is an interesting science based programme that requires more than half a brain cell to understand will it be quietly dropped. I hope not but none of the current regular co-presenters inspire me.
Helen Czerski who co-presented Orbit a while back had a good ethustiastic style and has a scientific background, though into bubbles rather than astronomy.
--
Cheers
Dave.

They will get a bimbo in. Same as weather forecasting is now.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 05:43:07 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Rules out Helen Czerski, so it'll Kate bumble then

That's just been dumbed down and down , the fact they spenta small fortune of the new graphivs which were and still are dire says that. About the same time the atlantic charts disappeared as well. Though they occasionally are shown now but not explained properly using the correct terminology.
--
Cheers
Dave.

They could just combine the two and have Alex Dolan present TSaN. I'd be happy.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 52nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
"I saw Lon Cheney walking with the Queen."

Grrr - don't remind me how much I hate the fact that we now have some bimbo bat squeaking at us while a 3d animation swoops and soars conveying absolutely no information of any use whatsoever. The old charts packed a lot of information into a view. Useful information for anyone farming or sailing a boat.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/
On 10/12/12 13:43, harry wrote:

You should look at the qualifications of some of those bimbos.
Not one without a degree and all met office trained.
--
Ineptocracy

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:20:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Yes they are all met office trained, but the degrees are not always in atmospheric science/physics/maths (or similar). There are at least a couple that have degrees in non science subjects.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:24:53 +0000, The Other Mike

Haven't a load on the BBC regionals been laid off or are about to be as part of the DQV cuts? Some seem to popping up on ordinary presentation assignments recently, whether that is to keep them occupied while contracts finish or they have managed to wangle a way of staying on in new positions I don't know. The one who did manage to retain her position at BBC South has thanked them by buggering of to Pakistan. Probably hear about her getting stoned sometime. At least with the cutbacks we may be spared the pointless presentation of a weather forecast by one of them getting wet at location somewhere in the region just to prove it actually is raining. I wonder how much those exercises cost licence payers in travel and subsistence allowances because they fancied an evening with the yachties at Cowes week or a day out at Goodwood.
G.Harman