RIP Heinz Wolff

I loved The Great Egg Race

Reply to
ARW

+1

A lovely man presenting science to a non-scientist audience. Thoroughly enjoyed watching him (and Eric Laithwaite).

F used his keyboard to write :

Even more so, the latter for me..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Both of them. And Magnus Pyke. A nice man - had dinner with hime once.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry but I cannot forgive Laithwaite for telling the nation's children[1] that gyroscopes violated the fundamental laws of classical physics.

[1] well the important ones who were watching the RI Xmas Lectures ;)
Reply to
Robin

Bob Eager presented the following explanation :

I can imagine that - arms flying all over and the meal with it :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+1. He seemed to actually believe it. A professor! There was a time, long ago, when I could do the maths to prove him wrong. Something to do with vectors I recall.

Not just then. He was always on about it. Whether the grant committee believed him or not he got the money for his stupid experiments.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Yup. Rather more thought went into it than the modern versions like Scrap Yard Challenge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+2. Remember the theme tune?

They've taken his website down already, too.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I doubt it's related to his death, looks more like whoever (in the USA) registered it a year ago, stopped paying for it and it was suspended last month.

Wayback shows that up to 2016 it was redirecting to his agent's website

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Bob Eager

Never worked on anything like that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A true gent, and to a young lad. the quintessential embodiment of the benevolent slightly mad scientist - almost as if Professor Branestawm were made flesh.

Yup same here...

ISTR there were some in this group who actually competed on some of the shows.

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR you need to work in a rotating reference frame, and then the classical laws make sense again.

Stupid or not, he fired the imagination of many budding scientists and engineers.

Reply to
John Rumm

His son was talking about him at length on BBC news earlier.

He talked about some of his inventions: things like a machine for counting patients? blood cells and the sticky pads used in heart monitoring. He was even responsible for components in the morphine pump he was on.

Much of the interview has been repeated on later bulletins.

He was a one off really. He had more things going on than just tv silly games though. I have a recording of him reading a Les Barker poem somewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not forgetting Patrick Moore.

Reply to
pamela

And arriving at his 80th birthday party in a carriage propelled by fire extinguishers

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah. That explains the image I saw earlier. Priceless.

I heard it on the radio - no image!

Reply to
Bob Eager