'UFO' LED lamps

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63 recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the temperature down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

Reply to
PeterC

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having a perfectly good light and then dimming it has always seemed pretty perverse to me. There is a large market out there which isn't the slightest bit interested in dimmability. Or the real word if there is one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Really? Have you never fitted a bulb in a location and thought that on occasion, a lower output might be nice?

I adjust the light level over our dining table depending on the activity I?m undertaking at it.

Or hasn?t grasped the potential of dimming. It?s probably even more pertinent in this age of low wattage bulbs where the actual light output is far harder to guess pre-purchase for those of us used to thinking in

40/60/100W bulbs and may end up with a bulb with too high an output.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Very logical to me. Nice and bright for when you need high light levels, down to background or whatever when relaxing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well strangely enough some of us just have a different opinion from you. Hard to accept, I know. I have never found a (commercially available, domestic) light too bright for me. Really.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You and me both, pal. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Does not have to be about "too bright" though does it... just a reflection of the fact that some spaces are multiple use and different lighting suits different uses. For example, the lighting in my office is dimmable. Most of the time when working "full on" is just right. However if I am watching a film / youtube at the computer then less bightness can be preferable. A dimmer achieves that at pretty much zero extra effort.

Reply to
John Rumm

I remmeber as a kid watching horror films on TV with my mum, we didn;t have a dimmer so turned the light off which was a little too dark, so we used t o put on the kitchen light and leave the door partly open allowing a bit of light in. If only we'd had a dimmer in those days. Now after about 9pm I dim the ligh ts a little and if watching almost any film I tend to turn the lights down, if eating I tend to turn them up, I don't like eating in dim light, I don' t like reading in dim light (if it's printed). I prefer to listen to music in dim light too. The only room I have that isn't dimmable is the bathroom.

The LED light linked to would be OK for my bathroom, it's the same shape an d size as my existing one, which has 3x40W SES tunsten bulbs

Reply to
whisky-dave

Quite. Even more so in a multi-purpose room like most living rooms.

It's one thing I've not come to terms with. I like the way tungsten go nice and 'warm' when dimmed. LEDs stay about the same colour temperature. Perhaps I'll get used to it. Oddly, it never bothered with the dimming florries in the kitchen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LEDs are available which automatically adjust colour with light output level. There are two types - ones where the colour temperature can be adjusted, and sometimes that comes with a preset which follows the Kruithof curve as you dim it.

The other type I've see are much simpler but very effective. They use the filament style LEDs in glass bulbs. However, there are one or two red filaments for many of the white filaments. At full brightless, they balance to give the desired colour temperature. As you dim them, the white filaments dim preferentially because they need a higher voltage than the red ones in parallel with them, which causes the light output to move more towards the red end of the spectrum. I've seen these at lighting trade shows many times, but I can't point you to a retailer (nor can I recall the manufacturer).

They change colour quite significantly when dimmed, but in bizare ways because the mercury spectrual lines change in relative intensity, and some are used for the direct light output, whilst others excite phosphors to fill in gaps in the mercury spectrum. Generally, they tend to go towards pink or purple colour, rather than simply shifting towards red though, as a result of the UV emission which stimlulates the phosphors dropping, and you end up with something more like a non-phosphor mercury vapour lamp colours.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel