RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Indeed. A degrees used to mean that you were capable of thinking. (Today it means you are capable of reading and remembering). It never meant you were capable of doing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, but they should do.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have been rather hoping (for all too many years) that Fahrenheit degrees really would go out of date.

In the all-too-brief weather forecasts, they waste a sizable proportion of their word count repeating temperatures in F.

Reply to
polygonum

You mean they waste a lot of time giving us data in a format foisted upon us before giving us the temperature in *proper* units? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But which forecasts use the kelvin? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Since when? The Beeb hasn't used F for a while.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe it is only the local segments? But definitely they keep slipping in an F.

Reply to
polygonum

Look East don't use F.

When I'm watching Alex Dolan doing the weather on Look East, I'm afraid that there's another kind of "slipping in" I'm thinking about.

Reply to
Huge

Apparently there is og over much of the country today

Plenty of local forecasts mention the temp in F from time to time.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You might say that, I couldnt possibly comment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Should have done that when changing, as it's more useful. After all, absolute zero is 0K.

Reply to
PeterC

ve

They are still used in America. Along with inches, feet and pounds. DegF is no more illogical than degC. Now you might argue degK is logical.

Reply to
harry

I don't get the, umm, pleasure! Although geographically within BBC East, and would more appropriately get London or, possibly, South from Oxford, we actually get South from Southampton. Which almost entirely fails to cover us! And misses Alex Dolan.

Reply to
polygonum

Not in everyday life it isn't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They might use Rankine scale, Delisle, Newton, Réaumur or Rømer in other countries for all I know. But I was referring to UK broadcasts. And I really was not arguing about the logicality of F versus C so much as consistency and unnecessary duplication.

Reply to
polygonum

Its NOT OK .

Its bloody freezing!

Brr

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now now - shivering won't happen at 0K.

Reply to
PeterC

My degree is Biology. It's out of date. Nowadays I assume everyone knows a _little_ about DNA... was I wrong?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes. You massively overestimate the intelligence of the general public.

Reply to
Huge

Huge wrote: [snip]

Indeed, and startling as it may be for you to hear, the phlogiston theory was found to be incorrect.

Reply to
Steve Firth