number plates

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code or who made them to be on plates ????
On 12/01/2020 21:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Does it matter when the plates are present on the vehicle being tested, along with the correct VIN? The reason for details of the plate supplier is surely to prevent rogue suppliers providing them without checking and so aiding the use of false plates by people who are driving without insurance, tax, etc. or driving stolen vehicles. They are unlikely to put such a vehicle through an MOT. Plates from before those requirements could even be on new vehicles after a cherished number transfer anyway - you might just transfer the plates rather than get new ones once the transfer has been authorised.
SteveW
On 12/01/2020 22:03, Steve Walker wrote:

makes sense I got mail order show plates made up without the post code and supplier when I transferred a number and was a bit worried about mot time when it comes...should be OK then.....the normal plates that I got made up locally for the car that was reverting back to its original number has the supplier and post code but they are engraved into the plastic and you can't see them unless you look very closely .....
On 12/01/2020 21:16:19, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I looked at this a while ago, you can make your own plates so no need to identify the supplier. Even a company making plates for its own cars does not need to be registered as a 'supplier'.
The key words are 'supply' and in general terms you can't supply yourself.
You can have them made outside of England and Wales and so not subject to the silly rules we have.
On 12/01/2020 22:22, Fredxx wrote:

interesting thanks

You can of course also get a plastic notice with XX49 ABCD on it to mark an outbuilding (or whatever). The UK legislation is very silly really, they can't prevent anyone making a piece of plastic with numbers and letters on surely.
--
Chris Green
·

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:00:22 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

When the "massive change" in the law occurred, requiring all places that sold number plates to check (and copy ?) the V5, it was pointed out that no such checks were required to buy the kit to make the plates. Nor were they required on places that owned the kit (like my Dads garage).
Like a lot of laws, when you stop to think, it's clear they're just to shut the masses up. (And they usually work).

years ago we had one made for our Village playground saying "NO DOGS". I wonder if we could do that nowadays?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The idea is to make it more difficult to get them made up while you wait. For obvious reasons. 'Show' plates or other mail order ones are more likely to allow the buyer to be traced.
I wanted some new ones for the old Rover - but didn't want them saying Halfords or whatever. So got some made up using the name of the garage who supplied the car new - but no longer exists.
--
*Plagiarism saves time *

AS long as they comply why would it matter who made them? Brian
--
----- --
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with strange fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check compliance, or do transgressors simply keep a spare pair?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:02:07 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Pretty certain plates *if fitted* are part of the MOT. They have to be the correct colour, fixed securely and (obviously) the correct number.
It used to be possible to MOT a car without plates - the VIN was used. Did this once on a car that was awaiting a registration from the DVLA as it had been a diplomats car.
On Monday, 13 January 2020 11:02:09 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I agree with you - totally disproportionate. But annoyed I become.
I suspect a spare pair. But the risk of being caught while driving must be very low as so many people seem to use them. I'd like to think that anyone stopped for any reason by police would get appropriately hit if they have s uch number plates. After all, it is a deliberate "stuff you" to the law. (M ind, I'd be a bit more forgiving for people who did not make a decision to transgress - such as stone-chipped during a journey.)
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 03:39:59 -0800, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I think as long as they are legible, there's a certain weary acceptance on the part of the police.
That said, you'd have thought an automated summons from an ANPR camera for non-regulation plates would be possible ?
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:12:51 +0000, Jimk wrote:

ANPR is incredibly robust, and AIUI the number of cases where a read completely fails is low enough for a manual intervention.
If these characters are fitting their "look at me" plates in a bid to defeat ANPR - certainly those used in law enforcement - they really are as dim as you'd imagine.
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:47:57 +0000, Jimk wrote:

I dunno. Just a desire for DoT conformity ?
On 13/01/2020 12:04, Jethro_uk wrote:

If APNR can read them then they can't, in practical terms, be far out-of-spec. If APNR can't then there won't be the means for an automated summons.
--
djc

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 23:05:05 +0000, DJC wrote:

I am working under the assumption that images that cannot produce a valid number plate automatically are flagged up for a pair of human eyes to check. (We already know that human eyes can be involved at some stage, since people get caught lying about who was driving from the images captured by the equipment).
If I am wrong, and a failed automatic image capture cannot lead to a summons, then we return to asking what the fuck the everyday police in cars are doing when they see a dodgy plate go past ?
On 13/01/2020 11:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I agree about strange fonts, but have no problem with changed spacing. If anything, it often makes it read in a way that is far more memorable and so much easier to report in the event of a hit and run, dangerous driving, etc.
SteveW
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 22:24:21 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

I'm guessing that's why the police don't seem so bothered about it. A rare display of common sense which I sincerely hope will be extinguished before too long in case it starts spreading.