Sing as DIY entertainment?

If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?
Mike
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:

The thug in the corner who does not like your singing:-)
--
Adam

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:57:02 +0000, ARW

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:57:02 +0000, ARW

It's the thug in the corner wot's making me do it. It's his pound coins as were going in the jukebox.
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub though.
--
Colin Bignell

That's the info I was looking for Colin, thanks.

That'll be me performing in the underpass then :-(
--

Mike

Yes some pubs have an open mike night and even a kareoke night, so learrn I will survive and my way and you are set. Brian
--
----- --
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:57:55 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"

Yeah but I'll be well over a hundred years old before they are.
--

Mike

Sorry? Oh I almost forgot Come on Eileen and La Isla Bonita. Brian
--
----- --
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:57:50 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"

You're clearly a man who's been around a bit, and moved in artiste-ic circles.
--

Mike

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 16:30:15 UTC, nightjar wrote:

"In the UK, copyright in the musical work and the literary work (if relevant) will last for the life of the creator, plus 70 years. If the work was created jointly, it will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator."
100 years might, or might not be old enough. Further, if the arrangement is newer...
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 09:36:05 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google

Slightly trickier than it first seemed then.
--

Mike

On 12/01/2020 17:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Not a problem for 'My old man said follow the van died'. The composer of 'If you were the only girl in the world' died in 1952, although, so far as I can find, nobody still claims the copyright to the 1916 version. Later arrangements do have copyright holders listed.

Obviously, use the original arrangement.
--
Colin Bignell

In reality though, there is not an issue as the backing track used seems to be all part of the service these days. If you wanted to release it though and make dosh that way, then I'd imagine you would need to be more careful, legally. Its interesting to note that New Zealand seems to have verry liberal copyright laws. Brian
--
----- --
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:01:08 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"

Oh no, you're not getting rid of me that easy.
--

Mike

Copyright exists until 75 years after the death of the author/composer, not the absolute age of the song.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sunday, 12 January 2020 17:44:39 UTC, charles wrote:

Where did you get 75 from? Everywhere I looked had 70.

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:38:13 +0000 (GMT), charles

Is there a reasonably easy way to check out such things?
--

Mike

On 12/01/2020 18:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/faq.php