update to that 'failed MOT test'

from East Anglia's big motor agency.

If you remember the Freelander failed its MOT test one day (with a bill for 800 to 'get it through' mooted), and passed it the next at a different garage.

Today VOSA re-tested it. Free of charge.

The failed it on cut tyres.. two cuts were *just* sufficiently deep to expose the cords. The tyres are up for replacement anyway so no big deal.

They did not fail it on a 'loose number late with corroded screws'. They did not fail it on the 'smearing wipers needing replacement'. They did not fail it even on corroded wheel nuts. They did not fail it on corroded brake pipes. They did mention that one exhaust bracket was broken, but this was not an MOT failure. They did not fail it on faded coloured indicator bulbs. They 'had a conversation' with the MOT tester, but sadly, they didn't pull his license.

They told me he used to work at Lookers in Bury St Edmunds. That's the garage that wanted to charge me 3,000 quid to put a new axle on an XJS when a 200 pound oil seal change sorted a minor oil leak completely.

You all know which chain this is: I would mention I have had excellent (if expensive) service from the Cambridge Land Rover concession.

It's the Bury franchise I wont ever be using again.

The moral is get your car in early, and, if you think you are being pissed all over, get a VOSA retest.

VOSA rules are NOT open to 'interpretation': They are clear and precise, and whilst all of the things pointed out were such things as one might want to attend to in a car that was to be brought up to 'full bill of health' they are not, in fact MOT failures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

MOT testers are approved by VOSA? You got it tested "by" VOSA?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Several of those are - depending on the degree. Corroded brake pipes. Lights not the correct colour, and so on. So are to an extent a matter of opinion. An insecure exhaust is usually a failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it Marshalls? If it's Marshalls you should say it's Marshalls. What is the point in being coy about it?

Naich.

Reply to
Naich

Not according to the VOSA engineer they are not.

"Its is not the job of the inspecting engineer to decide whether something might be dangerous in a hour, a week, or a year, it is his job to decide if it is dangerous at the time of the test".

The advisories are where those things belong.

An exhaust dragging on the road is dangerous: One held by 3 instead of 4 brackets is ..advisory.

Corrosion was noted but was on the unions mostly, not the pipes and was in any case superficial.

I probably will have a look myself when the weather improves and get some or all of them replaced.

The lights are the correct colour, its just that after 7 years the orange bulbs are not quite as orange as they one were. But the lenses still are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Francis Urquhart..

"You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment..."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on what you mean by dangerous. You can, for example, fail on the incorrect lettering on the number plates. Or an empty screen washer.

It could fall off at any time, as the rest of the supports will be under more strain.

Then as I said it's judgement. By your standards, it would have to be punctured to fail?

Presumably orange bulbs with clear lenses? If the bulbs have changed colour that again is a matter of judgment. I've had a vehicle fail on the tail lights no longer being red.

I'm not saying the original tester was not being too strict - just explaining that much is up to the individual tester. With brakes, for example, they are tested on a rolling road, so not a matter of judgment. Nor is a bulb not working etc. But many others are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would be worried about the second test where it passed.. Having duff tyres is not something I would want. Did they even mention it or is it something that happened after the test?

Reply to
dennis

I'm pretty certain I have seen in the C&U section, specifications for the wavelength of light considered appropriate. They really are as black and white as you can get ...

Reply to
Jethro

Dennis. I have been over those tyres with a bloody magnifying glass. You really have to look hard and dig a screwdriver in to open them up to see that the cords are exposed: In fact I suspect that's how they WERE MADE.

No way are they immediately dangerous - not as a normal person understands it.

There is no damage to the belting at all - merely you can SEE the belting IF you open up the rubber sipes where its been split.

The second garage said they couldn't see the belting. The VOSA man says he can.

Theres about 3mm or 4mm of tread left on the tyres and they were up for new in a couple of months anyway.

given the miles we do, might switch to a different brand anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
thirty-six

Since there is no room for interpretation, you should take out a private action against them for attempted fraud to the value of their 'failures'.

Reply to
Alan Truehate

theres wriggle room to make it not worth while, but I might take out a fair tarding or whatever its called thigie.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Today VOSA re-tested it. Free of charge.

The failed it on cut tyres.. two cuts were *just* sufficiently deep to expose the cords. The tyres are up for replacement anyway so no big deal.

So to sum up Marshalls were right in failing the test but for all the wrong reasons and your tame garage was wrong in passing it. What on earth were you doing driving with tyres in that state?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian. the tyres are completely normal

You have, as I said, to stick a screwdriver in some invisible cracks in the sipes, lever the tyre open and you can just see a glint of steel.

Or perhaps that is how you opened te cracks up enough to see the steel in the first place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The M6 5AM on Thursday was the worst I have ever seen it in 40 years of driving. Pitch black, rain, hailstone, high winds and spray. I hope to f*ck a wanker like you does not come within 5 miles of me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You had better hope it IS me.

I dont hit other people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many years ago I used back Bostik glue to make sure you couldn't see the glint of steel in a deep cut!!

Reply to
Fredxx

When my Dad was at sea in the late 60s and I'd recently passed my driving test I used to sort of look after his Rover 60 (i.e. make full use of it since there were no other drivers in the family!). There was once a fault with the rear brakes which I fixed temporarily with a stout elastic band and a piece of polypropylene rope. I took it for an "MOT", totally forgetting about the temporary botch, and it passed without any problem...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

the mind boggles?

Reply to